There’s nothing more refreshing than a cold, fruity drink! This Berry Ginger Agua Fresca is the perfect thing for sipping on the beach or poolside. Thank you to Princess Cruises for helping me share this post with you.
There are just a few things you need when lying on a beach or poolside for the afternoon. Copious amounts of sunshine (of course!), a good book and a cool drink. Of course, if you can arrange for a bowl of guacamole and shrimp ceviche to magically appear when you get the munchies, then you've really got it made!
When my long-time friend (since grade 4, to be exact!) embarked on a Princess Cruises Mexican Riviera cruise a couple of months ago, we had visions of beach days dancing in our heads. We were not disappointed! And those hot weather days are exactly what inspired this refreshing berry ginger agua fresca.
I wrote about the details of the cruise here - food, staterooms, shore excursions...the works. If you already read that, you know that my favorite excursion was an adventure up the coast from Puerto Vallarta, with snorkeling, wind-in-your hair zodiac rides, horseback riding and time on the beach.
Once we reached that beach, it didn't take long for my friend and I to settle down onto a beach mat strategically placed under an umbrella with a fantastic view of the ocean. Cue the refreshing drinks and snacks!
Agua fresca, which literally means "fresh water", is a puree of fruit, water, sweetener (I used honey) and usually lime juice. Think watermelon, orange, cantaloupe, strawberry, cucumber, pineapple, peach. The sky's the limit! I chose to make this Berry Ginger Agua Fresca out of sheer convenience. We always...always...have a bag of mixed berries in the freezer which regularly get thrown into yogurt parfaits and smoothies.
One of the things that separates agua fresca from a smoothie is that the fruit is pureed with water rather than milk, yogurt, almond milk or something similar. Once the mixture is pureed, it's run through a fine-mesh sieve to produce a silky smooth drink of the gods!
Drink this berry ginger agua fresca "as is", or top it off with a little extra still or sparkling water.
Berry Ginger Agua Fresca Recipe
- 2 ⅔ cups water
- 4 cups frozen mixed berries*
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- extra water or sparkling water if desired
- lime wedges to garnish (optional)
- Pour the water into the blender. Add the frozen berries, lime juice, honey and ginger. Blend until smooth, stirring as necessary.
- Set a fine mesh sieve over a bowl or large measuring cup. Working in batches, pour the berry mixture into the sieve and push through with a rubber spatula.
- Pour the agua fresca into a pitcher for serving. Divide the mixture between 4 glasses. Top with extra water or sparkling water (if desired), and stir to combine. Garnish with lime wedges and serve.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Princess Cruises. All opinions are my own. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.