Sip on this Berry Green Smoothie for breakfast or to curb those afternoon munchies. Plenty of protein, fiber and antioxidants!
"You smell like hemp." Perhaps that's not an uncommon thing for people to hear in our pot-legalized home state of Washington, but it's definitely the first time in almost 18 years of marriage that my husband has uttered those words to me.
No, I haven't been rolling funny looking cigarettes, but it seems that the uptick in my smoothie consumption - with HEMP PROTEIN POWDER (see, I'm still a good girl) - has led to an unintended odiferous side effect. Who knew?! This isn't a standard occurrence when I use the protein powder, but I have drinking SO MANY SMOOTHIES lately that they seem to be actually seeping out of my pores. 🙂
Last week, my body was feeling off. Not sick - just off. And the only things that sounded appealing were smoothies and broth. If you have been following my Instagram stories, you saw that my blender is working overtime. The freezer is stockpiled with frozen fruit, and never before has there been so much spinach and kale in our fridge at one time. But, oh man, there are some epic smoothies coming out of that blender right now, and this Berry Green Smoothie (with hemp protein powder, of course) is one of my favorites.
Almost every smoothie I make involves veggies, and particularly green ones, of some sort. Spinach and kale are the favorites, with Swiss chard and even red cabbage making an occasional appearance. When I hear people say that they don't like greens in their smoothies, the justification usually includes "little green bits floating in my smoothie". I have a couple of tricks that will make the greens seamlessly blend into your drink.
Tricks to blending greens:
- Add the liquid, then the greens to the blender, and puree before adding the rest of the ingredients.
- Puree well...very well. I let the blender run for at least one minute, scraping down the sides once, until the greens are completely liquified.
- No need to remove spinach stems or even some of the smaller kale ribs. They'll blend in easily!
The nutritional data for this berry green smoothie is for two 8-ounce smoothies, which is perfect for a pre-workout boost or afternoon snack. However, if the smoothie is standing in for breakfast, I drink the entire 16 ounces to get in a good dose of veggies, protein and fiber to start the day.
Berry Green Smoothie Recipe
- ⅔ cup water or unsweetened coconut water*
- 2 cups packed spinach leaves
- 1 ¼ cup frozen berries I use a mixture of raspberries, blueberries & blackberries
- 1 medium orange peeled, seeded & cut in quarters
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 2 tablespoons hemp protein powder or protein powder of your choice
- Pour the water into a blender, then add the spinach. Puree until very smooth.
- Add the frozen berries, orange and flaxseed meal. Puree until smooth. Serve.
Disclosure: This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!
I pulled out my blender for the first time in a VERY LONG TIME to make this blender. I'm so glad I did! The flavor of the spinach disappears behind the berries and orange. Drank the whole darn thing by myself. 🙂
I love to hear that! And yeah, I've been known to drink the whole thing on my own, too. 🙂