We haven’t even made our favorite Thanksgiving recipes yet and I’m already talking about leftovers! I promise I’m not wishing the holiday away. In fact, I can’t wait to dive into our foolproof roasted turkey, the killer gravy it produces, and extra helpings of shredded Brussels sprouts, crockpot cranberry sauce and my dad’s stuffing (five helpings of that, please!)
Then again, there’s something about lazing about in my pajamas for the next three days and devising ways to use up the leftovers that’s incredibly appealing. Fleece pjs and turkey corn chowder make the world go around!
I’ve made my share of potato latkes (zucchini ones, too) in previous years and finally figured out the best way to bake them (in other words, no oil needed) and still achieve that beautiful golden brown, crunchy crust that can make or break a potato pancake.
This mashed potato patty recipe is based on that method, and the keys to success are simple…use a hot oven and preheat the baking sheet for a few minutes to achieve a sear on the outside of the patties.
These are fantastic with just a bit of cheese added in, but I decided to “up” the flavor by mixing in some green chiles, cumin and cilantro. It was worth the few extra minutes of prep time!
Since the added ingredients are all used in small portions, the nutrition profile of these potato patties really depends on the mashed potatoes that you use. I always use my recipe for Creamy and Low-Fat Mashed Potatoes, which makes this recipe low-fat and low-calorie.
Serve the patties with whatever strikes your fancy. A few options are plain Greek yogurt, hot sauce or even ketchup.
Other Thanksgiving leftovers recipes:
Cookin’ Canuck’s Light Turkey (or Chicken) & Corn Chowder
Cookin’ Canuck’s Turkey, Brie, Pear & Cherry Chipotle Panini
Simply Recipes’ Mom’s Turkey Soup
The Roasted Root’s Shepherd’s Pie Two Ways
Family Fresh Cooking’s Thanksgiving Leftover Nachos
Cheesy Chile Leftover Mashed Potato Patties
Leftover mashed potatoes get turned into healthy, cheesy chile patties for a fantastic side dish or snack.
- 3 cups chilled leftover low-fat mashed potatoes
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 can (3 oz.) diced green chiles
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp minced cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the mashed potatoes, 1 egg white, green chiles, Parmesan cheese and cilantro.
- In a small bowl, whisk the remaining egg white. In a separate bowl, mix the breadcrumbs and pepper.
- Using rounded ⅓ cup portions, form the mashed potato mixture into patties. Place the patties on a cutting board.
- Dip each patty into the whisked eggs white, then the seasoned breadcrumbs and place on a flat surface, such as a cutting board.
- Place the prepared baking sheet in the oven and heat for 5 minutes.
- Carefully remove the baking sheet from the oven and quickly place the patties on the sheet.
- Return to the oven and cook until the patties are golden brown, about 15 minutes per side.
- Garnish with cilantro (if desired) and serve.
Disclosure: This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!