Tuck this Easy Cilantro Lime Brown Rice into burritos or serve it as a side dish. It’s a fantastic whole grain and gluten-ree recipe that you’ll make over and over again. 50 calories and 4 Weight Watchers Freestyle SP
It’s not often that my kids get excited over side dishes. When it’s just plain rice and steamed broccoli, who can really blame them? But this…this rice! Now this is something to get excited over.
Even though I’m usually throwing rice and water in a saucepan at top speed, desperately hoping that it will be ready so we can eat before leaving for some activity or another, I’ve decided that I must regularly work five extra minutes into dinnertime prep to sauté some onion, garlic and spices to pep up the rice.
That deserves some kind of Mother of the Year award, doesn’t it?
This is the same rice that I served underneath the Spice Rubbed Lime Salmon Recipe that I told you about earlier this week. They were meant for each other!
I’m even okay with admitting that the other side dish was “the usual”…steamed broccoli. But my kids didn’t care because both the salmon and the rice were winners in every sense. The taste, the novelty and the taste again.
While this works beautifully with the spiced salmon, I guarantee that I will be tucking it into enchiladas and tacos, and serving it alongside southwestern roast chicken and spiced roasted cauliflower.
I made this recipe in a saucepan, but next time I’m going to sauté the onions, garlic and spices in a skillet, then transfer them to a rice cooker with the brown rice and water. A perfect time-saver!
Other recipes with lime:
Easy Cilantro Lime Brown Rice Recipe
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan set over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, cumin and salt, and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the brown rice and stir to combine with the onion mixture.
- Add the water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until all of the water is absorbed, 45 to 55 minutes.
- Fluff the rice, mix in the lime juice and cilantro, and serve.
Disclosure: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.