I was nearly ousted from the family last night. I put a comment on the Cookin’ Canuck Facebook page to say that my mother-in-law’s applesauce recipe was cooking in the crockpot and I would be posting the recipe. About 30 minutes later, my brother-in-law commented, “Noooo…can’t post the family recipe…” and later “Just won’t feel the same knowing that millions of people across the country will be enjoying it” (a million people – in my dreams).
I had to respect his unwillingness to share his mum’s recipe and his loyalty to this applesauce of all applesauces. The only way to resolve this dilemma was to go to the source. I called my mother-in-law to ask for her blessing which, luckily for all of you, she happily gave. So, if you make this recipe, please give a nod of thanks to several generations of women who have made this recipe for the families that always appreciated its wonderful flavor and warmth. To my brother-in-law: I hereby pledge to put a copyright on this recipe if I ever get millions of readers and to take all other family recipes to the grave with me.
Peel, core, quarter and slice 5 medium-sized Gala and 5 medium-sized Yellow Golden Delicious apples. Now, if you have one of these handy-dandy apple peelers, your work will be done in about 5 minutes. My kids fight over who gets to be the first peeler operator of the season.
Place all of the apple pieces in a large bowl and add 1/4 cup granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon. The original recipe calls for 3/4 to 1 cup of sugar. Each year, I have decreased the amount of sugar by a little bit. No one seems to have noticed, so I’ve decided to stick with the lower sugar version. The waistband on my jeans thanks me.
Cover, turn the crockpot setting to Low, and cook for about 8 hours, stirring occasionally and breaking up the apple slices with a wooden spoon as they soften. If you have a faster-paced life, crank the crockpot up to high and cook for 5 hours. It’s that easy.
Other family apple recipes:
The Family Crockpot Applesauce Recipe
From the kitchen of Cookin Canuck. www.cookincanuck.com
- 5 medium-sized Gala apples, peeled, cored, quartered, and sliced
- 5 medium-sized Golden Yellow Delicious apples, peeled, cored, quartered, and sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup water or apple juice
- Place all of the apple pieces in a large bowl and stir in sugar and ground cinnamon. Pour water or apple juice into the bottom of a large crockpot (slow cooker) and add the apple mixture. Cover, turn the crockpot setting to Low, and cook for about 8 hours (or on High for 5 hours), stirring occasionally and breaking up the apple slices with a wooden spoon as they soften.
- Serve warm or room temperature.