Mini Peppers are stuffed with zesty turkey sausage, fresh mozzarella and basil, then cooked on the grill to make bite-sized appetizers.
When a recipe involves sausage, mini peppers, fresh mozzarella and the grill, I tend to think that it has everything going for it. I first became enamored by these mini sweet peppers when I skewered them in a Mixed Grill with Sausages, Mini Peppers & Zucchini. The colors are vibrant and the peppers are perfect little vessels to hold a variety of stuffings. This combination of sausage, cheese and basil happens to be low calorie and low in fat, thanks to the ingredients that I chose.
Both the peppers and the sausages came from Costco. I used 5th Street Grill Italian Turkey Sausages with Peppers & Onions, but use whichever sausages appeal to you. The 5th Street Grill sausages contain only 100 calories and 3.5g of fat per sausage link. And my family loves the flavor - a must for any recipe.
The beauty of a recipe like this, besides being treated to little bursts of flavor when you pop the peppers into your mouth, is that it lends itself to variations.
Here are a few variations:
- Sauteed, chopped mushrooms with fresh thyme
- Goat cheese, topped with panko breadcrumbs
- Cream cheese and crumbled bacon
- Black beans, Monterey jack cheese and salsa
- Chopped artichoke hearts and feta cheese
- Shredded Buffalo chicken and cheddar cheese
Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
Grill the turkey sausage, about 4 minutes per side. Dice the sausage and place in a bowl.
Add the mozzarella to the sausage, along with half of the basil and the ground pepper.
Turn the grill to medium heat.
Cut the peppers in half lengthwise and remove the membranes and seeds. Place the peppers in a bowl and toss with the olive oil.
Fill each pepper with about 1 teaspoon of the sausage mixture. Place the stuffed peppers on the grill and cook until the peppers are beginning to soften and the cheese is melted, 5 to 7 minutes.
Garnish the peppers with the remaining basil. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Other grilled appetizers:
Cookin' Canuck's Grilled Zucchini Roll Recipe with Goat Cheese, Roasted Peppers & Capers
Cookin' Canuck's Grilled Mushrooms with Smoked Paprika & Chive Dipping Sauce
Half Baked Harvest's Peach & Gorgonzola Grilled Polenta Rounds with Chipotle Honey
Italian Chips' Grilled Eggplant with Buffalo Mozzarella & Fresh Tomato
A Bachelor & His Grill's Mango & Chilli-Glazed Grilled Kauai Prawn
Mini Grilled Stuffed Peppers Recipe with Sausage & Basil
- 1 link flavored cooked turkey sausage
- 1 ½ ounces fresh mozzarella cheese diced
- 6 large basil leaves thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 12 mini bell peppers
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill the turkey sausage, about 4 minutes per side. Dice the sausage and place in a bowl.
- Add the mozzarella to the sausage, along with half of the basil and the ground pepper.
- Turn the grill to medium heat.
- Cut the peppers in half lengthwise and remove the membranes and seeds. Place the peppers in a bowl and toss with the olive oil.
- Fill each pepper with about 1 teaspoon of the sausage mixture. Place the stuffed peppers on the grill and cook until the peppers are beginning to soften and the cheese is melted, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Garnish the peppers with the remaining basil. Serve.
Disclosure: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
It's been way too long since I've stopped by your blog, Dara! But thankfully, there are lovely recipes like this to come back to. I love stuffed peppers and I love anything to do with sausage. You got me! 🙂
Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles
My family loves those colorful little sweet peppers, what a great appetizer using them!!