Okay, so I cheated on this basil chicken pasta salad. I'm not ashamed to admit that I enjoy the flavor and ease of the grocery store rotisserie chicken. Really, you can't beat the convenience. The vinaigrette melds beautifully with the fresh mint and basil, and the flavorful veggies.
Make the vinaigrette:
To make the vinaigrette, combine red wine vinegar...
fresh lemon juice...
honey, salt and ground pepper.
While whisking, slowly pour in the extra-virgin olive oil.
Cook the pasta:
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add 1 lb of shaped (such as penne or gemelli) whole wheat pasta. This recipe can also be made with regular pasta. Your choice!
Cook according to package instructions, drain, and rinse with cold water.
Prep the chicken and vegetables:
Slice and chop the rotisserie chicken until you have about 3 cups of meat. Use whatever part of the chicken you like best. Dark meat, light meat - it all works.
Cut about 15 stalks of asparagus into 1-inch pieces.
To blanch the asparagus, you can boil a separate pot of water. My favorite trick is to throw the asparagus in with the boiling pasta during the last minute of cooking. Drain the asparagus with the pasta.
Wash the grape tomatoes. Thinly slice the basil leaves and fresh mint leaves.
Assemble the pasta salad:
In a large bowl, combine the pasta, chicken, asparagus, tomatoes, mint and basil.
Gently toss with the vinaigrette.
Serve and see if you can stop eating it!
Other pasta salad recipes:
Tuna Pasta Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
Shrimp Pasta Primavera Salad
Chicken BLT Pasta Salad
Basil Chicken Pasta Salad
- 1 pound shaped whole wheat pasta such as penne or farfalle
- 3 cups rotisserie chicken skin removed & cut into bite-sized pieces
- 15 stalks asparagus cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 ½ teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the pasta to the water. Cook according to package instructions, drain and rinse with cold water.
- To blanch the asparagus, you can boil a separate pot of water. My favorite trick is to throw the asparagus in with the boiling pasta during the last minute of cooking. Drain the asparagus with the pasta.
- In a large bowl, combine the pasta, chicken, asparagus, tomatoes, mint, basil, and feta cheese. Gently toss with the vinaigrette.Serve.
- To make the vinaigrette, combine the vinegar, lemon juice, honey, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. While whisking with one hand, slowly pour in the extra-virgin olive oil with the other hand.
Disclosure: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Mmm, so fresh and healthy!
This looks and sounds so good! Love the addition of mint and I can't wait to try it!
That's my kind of meal when I am alone. That and a glass of wine and a chick movie! Looks perfect!
The George, I love that you made this recipe and that it was a hit! Thanks so much for letting me know!
The George 5
I made the basil mint chicken pasta salad for a bbq tonight and it was all the rave! I used the rotiserrie chicken and it made it so easy to prepare and the chicken was so flavorful - great suggestion. Thanks for the recipe.
I don't consider it all cheating to use rotisserie chicken, especially since everything else is so fresh. Wonderful dish!
Thanks to all of you for your comments. Katie, thanks so much for letting me know I won! I love Joelen's blog!
You won Joelen's Food Freebie Friday!! Congrats! Love your blog!
5 Star Foodie
Lovely pasta salad! Love the mint and basil! Very refreshing!
Chow and Chatter
looks great um mint and basil must try that combination love the pics