Okay, so I cheated on this basil chicken pasta salad. I'm not ashamed to admit that I enjoy the flavor and ease of the grocery store rotisserie chicken. Really, you can't beat the convenience. The vinaigrette melds beautifully with the fresh mint and basil, and the flavorful veggies.
Make the vinaigrette:
To make the vinaigrette, combine red wine vinegar...
fresh lemon juice...
honey, salt and ground pepper.
While whisking, slowly pour in the extra-virgin olive oil.
Cook the pasta:
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add 1 lb of shaped (such as penne or gemelli) whole wheat pasta. This recipe can also be made with regular pasta. Your choice!
Cook according to package instructions, drain, and rinse with cold water.
Prep the chicken and vegetables:
Slice and chop the rotisserie chicken until you have about 3 cups of meat. Use whatever part of the chicken you like best. Dark meat, light meat - it all works.
Cut about 15 stalks of asparagus into 1-inch pieces.
To blanch the asparagus, you can boil a separate pot of water. My favorite trick is to throw the asparagus in with the boiling pasta during the last minute of cooking. Drain the asparagus with the pasta.
Wash the grape tomatoes. Thinly slice the basil leaves and fresh mint leaves.
Assemble the pasta salad:
In a large bowl, combine the pasta, chicken, asparagus, tomatoes, mint and basil.
Gently toss with the vinaigrette.
Serve and see if you can stop eating it!
Other pasta salad recipes:
Basil Chicken Pasta Salad
- 1 pound shaped whole wheat pasta such as penne or farfalle
- 3 cups rotisserie chicken skin removed & cut into bite-sized pieces
- 15 stalks asparagus cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the pasta to the water. Cook according to package instructions, drain and rinse with cold water.
- To blanch the asparagus, you can boil a separate pot of water. My favorite trick is to throw the asparagus in with the boiling pasta during the last minute of cooking. Drain the asparagus with the pasta.
- In a large bowl, combine the pasta, chicken, asparagus, tomatoes, mint, basil, and feta cheese. Gently toss with the vinaigrette.Serve.
- To make the vinaigrette, combine the vinegar, lemon juice, honey, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. While whisking with one hand, slowly pour in the extra-virgin olive oil with the other hand.
Disclosure: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.