In this easy one-pot chicken recipe, chicken, quinoa, mushrooms and spinach nestle together for a healthy meal with minimal clean-up. 256 calories and 6 Weight Watchers Freestyle SP
There are some weeks when I am sure that my brain is going to cave inwards. This was one of those weeks. It wasn’t any one thing in particular that made me lose my sanity temporarily – rather, just a ton of little tasks that couldn’t be contained by to-do lists. A sure sign that I’m spent physically and mentally is when I proclaim that lying in a pit of earthworms seems more appealing than cooking dinner. Dramatic, I know. That attitude inevitably translates to lazy meals. Pizza one night, eggs on another.
I finally mustered the wherewithal to pull together this one-pot chicken recipe, which fits the bill when you want to minimize clean-up responsibilities. Seriously, I was pathetic this week!
Ever since I made Quinoa with Caramelized Crimini Mushrooms, Soy Sauce and Ginger years ago, I knew that my favorite grain was a perfect match for my favorite vegetable. So, why not nestle some seasoned chicken thighs into the simmering mixture, along with some fresh spinach for a complete meal?
Dinner on the table, massive clean-up averted and laziness rewarded.
My job here is done.
Other one-pot dinner recipes:
One-Pot Chicken, Quinoa, Mushrooms & Spinach Recipe
One-Pot Chicken, Quinoa, Mushrooms and Spinach recipe...Healthy dinner, quick clean-up! 256 calories and 6 Weight Watchers Freestyle SP
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 3/4 tsp crushed, dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 8 oz. crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups low-fat chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups sliced spinach leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the chicken thighs in a medium bowl. Add the rosemary, smoked paprika, salt and pepper, and toss to coat the chicken.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in large nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 2 minutes on each side. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon of olive oil in the skillet. Add the onion and mushrooms, and cook until the vegetables are tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir the quinoa and broth into the vegetables. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Nestle the chicken into the quinoa, and cook (covered) until the liquid is absorbed and the chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes (total of 30 minutes).
- Transfer the chicken to a plate. Stir the spinach into the quinoa. Serve with the chicken. Season to taste.
Disclosure: This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!