Pesto zucchini noodles, with a dose of chicken sausage, are a fantastic way to enjoy the flavors of your favorite pasta dish without all of the carbs.
There is one dish, and one dish only, that my family deems worthy of the first night’s dinner on a camping trip. Pesto pasta with veggies and chicken sausage. We make a big batch and eat it cold, like a pasta salad, right after setting up the campsite. Every single time.
But pesto pasta isn’t just for camping trips. It’s also one of our fallback recipes on a busy weeknight. There is almost always a package or two of pre-cooked chicken sausages in the freezer, and a container of homemade or Costco pesto in the fridge. Dinner in 20!
As much as we love our standard pasta dish, there are times when I just don’t want a big bowl of carbs, but am craving all of the other flavors – pesto, vegetables and chicken sausage. And so these pesto zucchini noodles were born. After making my Thai Chickpea Zucchini Noodles a couple of weeks ago, the spiralizer has been in almost constant use. With all of the zucchini available right now, it’s the perfect tool to whip up quick, healthy meals.
Brown the sausages, spiralize the zucchini and yellow, and toss it all together with dollop of pesto and a little salt and pepper for seasoning. Fifteen minutes and six ingredients, and a healthy, delicious dinner is served!
Other easy, healthy recipes with pesto:
Pesto Zucchini Noodles Recipe with Chicken Sausage
Pesto Zucchini Noodles with Chicken Sausage…Only 6 ingredients! When you’re craving pesto pasta, but want a light and healthy recipe. 205 calories and 5 Weight Watchers SmartPoints
- 2 medium zucchini (4 cups noodles)
- 1 large yellow squash (3 cups noodles)
- 4 precooked chicken sausages, sliced into half-circles
- 5 tbsp basil pesto
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- Cut the ends off of the zucchini and yellow squash, and cut eat vegetable in half crosswise. Run the zucchini and squash through the skinniest blade on the spiralizer to produce noodles. Place them in a large serving bowl.
- Preheat a large nonstick skillet to medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and heated through.
- Add the cooked sausage, basil pesto, salt and pepper to the “noodles”. Toss to coat. Serve.
Disclosure: This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!