In this roasted asparagus recipe, the fresh springtime vegetable is tossed with olive and roasted until tender, then drizzled with a simple Dijon vinaigrette. 66 calories and 1 Weight Watchers Freestyle SP
Am I the only one who suffers from road rage in the aisles of Costco? Last Sunday, we were caught in one of those classic Costco traffic jams. Everyone and their cousin was roaming the aisles with their carts filled to the brim, some moving a little more slowly than my ideal pace.
Must we look at every single cereal option while standing four abreast so that no one else can get through? Grab your Honey Nut Cheerios and get a move-on!
Seriously, what is wrong with me? I can stand in front of a pot of risotto, slowly stirring the simmering mixture for half an hour. But put me in a crowded store with a couple hundred shoppers and I lose my mind.
Maybe if they served risotto samples, I could avoid the inevitable wild-eyed look that sets in shortly after entering the toilet paper aisle.
Thankfully, I've been able to find the "adult" in me and haven't rammed anyone with my cart just yet. That behavior might be a little difficult to explain to our two boys.
"Mummy got a little frustrated with the people in the pet supplies aisle and decided to run them all down with her cart. She's been asked never to visit the magical warehouse kingdom again."
I pointed my cart straight at the vegetable section and made my way through slowly and patiently (deep breaths, everyone).
Cucumber...check. Red peppers...check. Mushrooms, spinach and carrots...check, check, check.
And asparagus! Yes, there was the asparagus, sitting front and center. A sign of spring and my go-to side dish from April through July. Grill it, roast it, steam it...I can't get enough of it.
This recipe is as simple as it gets. The asparagus is tossed with some olive oil and ground pepper, and roasted on a baking sheet until just tender. Freshly whisked Dijon dressing is slowly poured over the still-warm vegetable and the flavors slowly seep in.
It made the whole Costco trip worthwhile!
Other asparagus recipes:
Cookin' Canuck's Asparagus Hummus for Healthy Snacking
Cookin' Canuck's Creamy Asparagus with Lemon & Thyme
Ambitious Kitchen's Sesame Garlic Roasted Asparagus
Just A Taste's Baked Asparagus Fries with Roasted Garlic Aioli
Roasted Asparagus Recipe with Dijon Mustard Dressing
- 1 pound fresh asparagus
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together the white wine vinegar, shallots, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper until smooth.
- While whisking slowly pour in the olive oil until the dressing is combined.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Trim the tough ends from the asparagus and place the asparagus on a baking sheet.
- Toss the asparagus with olive oil and pepper until coated.
- Lay the asparagus on the baking sheet, in a single layer.
- Roasted the asparagus until it is just tender, 12 to 18 minutes (depending on the thickness of the asparagus).
- Serve the asparagus warm or room temperature, with some of the Dijon dressing drizzled over top (use as much as you like, to your taste).
Disclosure: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.