Roasted tomato crostini are fantastic on their own, but even better with added smashed avocado and basil. The best summer appetizer!
Roasted tomato crostini embody everything that's right with summertime. They highlight fresh seasonal produce.✔️ They're a breeze to make (cue the carefree summer living vibes).✔️ And they're ideal for sharing with friends while sitting on the patio, glass of blackberry iced tea or raspberry mojito in hand.✔️
And if you've ever tasted roasted tomatoes (we love them in pasta), you know that nothing can beat that smoky sweet flavor.
When made with cherry or grape tomatoes, they're like little jewels that explode with flavor as you bite down. And I promise that your kitchen will smell like a nonna's kitchen in the heart of Tuscany. Roasted garlic and veggies emit the most ethereal aroma.
Roasted tomatoes are a breeze to make and they are the star of this vegan crostini recipe. As tempting as it will be to eat the tomatoes straight off of the baking sheet, take a few extra minutes to toast some baguette slices and mash an avocado with lemon juice. The result is a fresh, healthy appetizer that will likely become your summer fallback recipe.
INGREDIENTS FOR THESE TOMATO APPETIZERS:
These are the main ingredients needed for this recipe…
- BAGUETTE: For an extra dose of fiber, I like to use whole wheat baguette. However, a regular baguette works just as well.
- TOMATOES: Either grape or cherry tomatoes. Ripe tomatoes (though not mushy) have the most flavor.
- OLIVE OIL: A teaspoon to coat the tomatoes before roasting.
- GARLIC: Use freshly minced garlic.
- SEASONING: A dash of kosher salt and ground black pepper.
- AVOCADO: Any variety of avocado will do, but I tend to opt for Hass avocados.
- LEMON: Use fresh squeezed lemon juice. Lime juice works in a pinch.
- BASIL: Use fresh basil leaves.
See recipe card below for full ingredients list & recipe directions.
💙 What’s to love about tomato crostini:
▪️ TASTE: These crostini highlight some of the best flavors of summertime – fresh tomatoes, avocado and basil.
▪️ SUPER EASY: They are a breeze to put together and the ingredients list is short. You don’t need a lot of components when fresh, seasonal veggies are the stars of the dish!
▪️ PLANT-BASED: These easy appetizers are plant-based (vegan), but are just as popular with the meat lovers.
KEEP IN TOUCH
and receive recipes straight to your inbox!
HOW TO MAKE TOMATO CROSTINI:
TOAST THE BAGUETTE: Start by slicing the baguette (¼-inch slices) and toasting the slices on a baking sheet in an oven set to 350 degrees F. It should take about 5 minutes to lightly toast the baguette slices. This can be done up to a few hours ahead of time. If you're not using the baguette toasts right away, let them cool completely, then transfer to an airtight container. If they are still warm when you close the container, steam will accumulate and the bread will soften.
LINE THE BAKING SHEET: I recommend lining the baking sheet with foil for easy clean-up. Parchment paper or a silicone baking mat are also good options. Most parchment paper is good for up to 425-450 degrees F.
PREP THE TOMATOES: Place the grape or cherry tomatoes in a medium bowl and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper, then transfer to the lined baking sheet.
ROAST TOMATOES: Turn up the oven temperature to 400 degrees F. Roasted tomatoes are even better with garlic. Add it in the second half of cooking the tomatoes so that the garlic doesn't burn. Roast the tomatoes for 10 minutes, then add the garlic and roast for an additional 8 to 10 minutes, or until the tomatoes are tender and starting to burst.
MASH AVOCADO: While the tomatoes are roasting, smash the avocado with the back of a fork and mix in some fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper. The lemon juice helps to keep the mashed avocado nice and green, as it slows down the oxidation process.
ASSEMBLE THE CROSTINI: Top each toasted baguette slice with some mashed avocado, a few roasted tomatoes (with garlic!) and basil. Serve right away!
- Instead of mashed avocado, spread some basil pesto on the baguette.
- Try adding drizzles of balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze.
- Add some cheese, such as crumbled feta or chopped fresh mozzarella. Bocconcini work well.
Roasted Tomato Crostini with Avocado
- 12 (¼-inch) slices baguette I use whole wheat, but a white flour baguette works just as well
- 36 (½ pound) grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper divided
- 1 garlic minced
- 1 Hass avocado pitted & peeled
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 leaves basil thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the baguette slices on a baking sheet and bake until the oven until lightly toasted, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish.
- Increase the oven heat to 400 degrees F. Line the baking sheet with foil.
- In a medium bowl, toss with tomatoes with olive, ⅛ teaspoon salt and ⅛ teaspoon pepper. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
- Roast for 10 minutes. Lightly toss the tomatoes with the garlic. Roast until the tomatoes are tender, 8 to 10 additional minutes.
- In a small bowl, mash the avocado with the back of a fork until smooth. Stir in the lemon juice, ⅛ teaspoon salt and ⅛ teaspoon ground pepper.
- Spread the avocado mixture onto the baguette slices. Top each crostini with 3 roasted tomatoes and some basil. Serve.
The post was first published on July 20, 2016 and was updated on August 17, 2022.
Disclosure: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.