This whole wheat Sausage Mushroom Naan Pizza is piled high with chicken sausage, garlic mushrooms and tangy goat cheese. Only 30 minutes to make!
We are already in the second week of school and I can already see myself falling into the trap of rotating between the same 10 meals over and over again. My weekly healthy meal plans force me to think outside of the box and dig into the archives to keep things fresh and interesting, but let's be honest about this.
(Whispers) I don't always follow my own meal plans. (Gasp!)
For anyone who's responsible for putting dinner on the table most nights of the week, it shouldn't be too surprising to learn that things go off the rails sometimes. Good intentions fall by the wayside with last-minute schedule changes or unintended omissions from the grocery list.
My solution? This is one of my best tips for changing up meal time. Are you ready?
Here it is. Don't feel that you always need to create a new dinner idea from the ground up. Sure, it can be fun to delve into a new recipe, like something from my 52 Healthy School Night Recipes. But when you've just asked your kids to tidy their rooms for the fiftieth time and your boss was on a rampage at work, pulling yourself together to cook something new is not always the best way to maintain your sanity.
Instead of trying something completely new, make small changes to your most well-loved recipes. You know the ones I mean - the recipes you could make with your eyes closed.
Use a different protein, swap in different vegetables, use quinoa instead of rice. Small variations can give an old recipe new life without requiring you to try a new cooking method or work with an unfamiliar ingredient.
So, that's exactly what I did with this sausage mushroom naan pizza recipe. Because I turn to one of my favorite quick meals (Chicken Pesto Naan Pizza) so often, I have whole wheat naan breads stashed in the freezer most of the time. I know the oven temperature and I know the cook time like the back of my hand. All I needed to do was switch up the toppings.
Chicken Italian sausage, sauteed mushrooms with garlic and oregano, a smear of tomato sauce and dollops of tangy goat cheese. Let's just say that it may unseat the pesto pizza from its top dog spot.
Sausage Mushroom Naan Pizza with Goat Cheese
- ½ pound raw chicken sausage
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms sliced
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 whole wheat naan bread
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 1 ½ ounces soft goat cheese chevre, crumbled
- 2 tablespoon minced flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. If using a pizza stone, heat the stone in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly coat with cooking spray. Squeeze the sausages out of their casings into the skillet. Cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until cooked through. Transfer to a bowl lined with paper towel to absorb any oil. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in the skillet and add the mushrooms. Cook until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the garlic and oregano, and cook for 1 minute.
- Place the naan on a pizza peel (or on a baking sheet if not using a pizza stone).
- Spread ¼ cup tomato sauce on each naan, and divide the sausage, mushrooms and goat cheese evenly between the two naans.
- If using a baking stone, transfer the pizzas from the peel to the stone in the oven. If using a baking sheet, transfer to the oven.
- Bake until the cheese is starting to melt and the naan is golden brown, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer the pizzas to a cutting board and let rest for a few minutes before cutting.
- Sprinkle the parsley over top. Slice the pizzas into quarters. Serve.
Other healthy naan pizza recipes:
Chicken Pesto Artichoke Naan Pizza
Thai Chicken Naan Pizza
BLT Naan Pizza with Bacon, Arugula & Tomato
Disclosure: This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!
Yesterday night my wife made your recipe for me.
It's so tasty, i couldn't stop eating it.
It looks so tasty and yummy. Pizza is one of my favorite recipes so I will definitely try this recipe soon. Thanks for sharing.