What else does one do on a hot and humid summer’s day but hunker down for a cut throat game of Dino-opoly? Yes, you read that correctly. No more Park Place or Marvin Avenue. Nope, my kids were buying up Giganotosaurus, Sauroposeidon and Triceratops at a rate that would make any paleontologist drop his pickax in awe. Dodging the “Nearly Extinct” square (that’s “Jail” to us old foagies) is enough to make any young gamer or spectator hungry. That’s when I pulled out my blender and whipped up this jalapeno and tomato cream cheese dip in about 10 minutes flat. Okay, maybe large, sauce-drenched ribs would have been more appropriate for my little Dino-opolists, but I was looking for something quick and easy.
This dip isn’t thick, so make sure you serve it with large tortilla chips. Raw veggies would work well, too. Actually, I will make a full confession. I used a spoon to scoop the dregs straight into my mouth. It was that good.
Heat olive oil in a small saucepan set over medium-low heat. Add jalapenos and garlic, and cook until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
In the pitcher of a blender, add jalapeno mixture, cream cheese, tomato, red bell pepper, smoked paprika and salt. Blend until smooth. Taste and season with additional salt, if necessary.
Serve with tortilla cheese or raw vegetables.
Other cream cheese dips and spreads:
Smoky Jalapeno & Tomato Cream Cheese Dip Recipe
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 656kcal Calories from fat 569|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 63g||97%|
|Saturated Fat 34g||170%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
From the kitchen of Cookin Canuck. The heat of this dip can be adjusted by adjusting the amount of the seeds and membranes you remove from the jalapeno pepper.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, membranes and seeds removed (as desired for heat), finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 medium tomato, cored & cut into 8 wedges
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt (or to taste)
- Heat olive oil in a small saucepan set over medium-low heat. Add jalapenos and garlic and cook until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In the pitcher of a blender, add jalapeno mixture, cream cheese, tomato, red bell pepper, smoked paprika and salt. Blend until smooth. Taste and season with additional salt, if necessary.
- Serve with tortilla cheese or raw vegetables.
Disclosure: This giveaway is being provided by Blendtec. All of the opinions printed here are my own.