20 minute meal! These Turkey Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are a fantastic option when you need a quick dinner recipe.
This isn't the first time I've stuffed sweet potatoes, but each time I do, I wonder why I don't make them a regular item on my meal plans. The first version involved spinach, feta and hummus - an easy meatless meal option. The second time around, I stuffed the sweet potatoes with a hoisin turkey and broccoli mixture. One of my readers commented, "Tripled this recipe to freeze for lunches – absolutely delicious! Will definitely be a staple for lunch!"
Hopefully these turkey taco stuffed sweet potatoes will get such rave reviews. They certainly did at my house!
KEEP IN TOUCH
and receive recipes straight to your inbox!
While it can be very convenient to dump a package of taco seasoning in the ground turkey, I assure you that it takes no more than a minute to add the individual seasonings, which give you a lot more control over the sodium levels and flavor. In fact, this entire recipe takes just 20 minutes to make. While the sweet potatoes are cooking in the microwave, the turkey mixture cooks on the stovetop. Multi-tasking at its best!
Once the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut them in half lengthwise, scoop out the flesh and mash it with some olive oil and cumin before scooping back into the skins. Top it all off with the cooked, seasoned ground turkey mixture.
We used pepper Jack on top of our stuffed sweet potatoes, but cheddar, Monterey Jack or even Parmesan cheese would work just as well.
Watch how easy it is to make these Turkey Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes:
Turkey Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 ¼ teaspoons ground cumin divided
- ¼ + ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ + ⅛ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¾ pound lean (93%) ground turkey
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 ¼ cup canned crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup grated pepper Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley
- Pierce the sweet potatoes all over with a fork. Cook in the microwave on HIGH until tender when pierced with a fork, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Let the potatoes rest until cool enough to handle.
- Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise. Carefully scoop the flesh out of the potatoes and place in a medium-sized bowl. Reserve the skins. With the back of a fork, mash the potato flesh until most lumps are gone. Stir in the olive oil, ½ teaspoon cumin, ¼ teaspoons salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Divide the mashed sweet potato evenly between the potato skins. Place on a baking sheet.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly coat with cooking spray. Add the ground turkey and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until cooked through. Stir in the garlic, chili powder, remaining ¾ teaspoon cumin, oregano, paprika, and remaining ⅛ teaspoon salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in the crushed tomatoes.
- Preheat the broiler. Spoon the turkey mixture into each sweet potato skin. Top each with 1 tablespoon grated cheese. Broil until the cheese is melted, about 30 seconds. Garnish with parsley. Serve.
Disclosure: This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!