Surprise your family or guests with these fun vegetarian olive and pesto pizza roll-ups. They’re great for snacking! Thank you to California Ripe Olives and Kitchen PLAY for helping me to share this recipe with you.
I’m convinced that I should have been born a Spaniard, for the sole purpose of being able to eat tapas. Little tastes and bites with all sorts of different flavors. Well, and the sangria is a draw, too. A country of snackers…now that’s my kind of country!
I have no qualms admitting that we are a family of snackers. While we always have our three square meals a day, I would toss out the routine of those three meals in a flash if it meant that I could just graze all day long.
Our kitchen is filled with snacks of all kinds…vegetables, hummus, cheese, crackers, apples…the list goes on. One thing that we always have on hand is olives, both green and black. It’s good to know that they have a shelf life of 36 to 48 months, but that’s not even a relevant fact in our house since the cans are always opened within a week or two of being purchased.
Half of the olives are consumed straight from the can, preferably off the ends of our fingers (really, is there a better way to eat olives?!), but they are also fantastic in wrap sandwiches, on pizzas and in pasta dishes.
Ninety-five percent of the olives in the U.S. are produced in California, by more than 1000 multigenerational family farms. Does that mean that it would be our stately duty to eat olives all day long if we moved to California?
It would be a tough job, but someone would have to do it.
I’m always trying to dream up new snacking recipes to surprise my kids with during the long summer days (or for after school snacks) and these pizza roll-ups hit the mark. Okay, they’re not exactly “pizza”, but the flavors reminded me of my favorite combination of pizza flavors.
First of all, my kids would eat pesto on anything I put in front of them (who can blame them?!), and they love olives as much as they love sushi. That’s saying something, believe me!
Just mix your favorite store-bought basil pesto into softened cream cheese and spread it on whole wheat tortillas, then layered on a mixture of California black olives, red bell peppers, tomatoes and spinach. All you have to do is roll and slice to form perfect little snack bites for you and the kids.
If you are looking for more recipes California olive recipes, check out my Olives & More Olives Pinterest board. Really, can you ever have enough olive recipes?!
Fun facts on snacking:
Vegetarian Pesto & Olive Pizza Roll-Ups Recipe
Calories 42.1/ Total Fat 3.4g / Saturated Fat 1.1g / Cholesterol 4.3mg / Sodium 92.7mg / Total Carbohydrates 1.6g / Fiber 0.3g / Sugars 0.5g / Protein 1.7g / WW (Old Points) 1 / WW (Points+) 1
- 1 cup California pitted black olives
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 Roma tomatoes, seeded & cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 4 oz. low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 2 tbsp basil pesto
- 4 whole wheat tortillas
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- Place the black olives, red bell pepper, tomato, Parmesan cheese, pepper and salt into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until chopped, but not pureed.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese and basil pesto. Smash with the back of a fork until combined.
- Spread 1 ½ tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture on each tortilla. Divide the olive mixture (draining off some of the extra liquid) and spinach evenly between the tortillas.
- Roll up each tortilla. Cut the ends off of each roll (discard or snack on the ends) and cut each roll into 6 pieces. Serve.