"Peanut butter noodles!" comes the cheer from my boys as soon as they hear the blender fire up. That is, unless it's Sunday morning. Then the cry becomes, "Smoothies!" While smoothies may edge out the noodles, this recipe has become a family favorite. My kids love it because it includes one of their most beloved ingredients: peanut butter, of course. We have exhausted our peanut butter sandwich repertoire. PB with jam, PB with bananas, PB with honey, PB with apples... This recipe uses peanut butter in a thankfully different way. My marathon-running husband appreciates this dish because it is a surefire method of delivering carbohydrates to his ever-moving muscles. I like it simply because it tastes great, is a cinch to make, and can be made hours in advance. These noodles are served cold and, like my Fusilli with Teriyaki Salmon and Vegetable Recipe, can be paired with any vegetables and meat you have in the fridge.
The peanut sauce recipe is adapted from Cooking Light Magazine.
In a blender, combine ½ cup peanut butter, ⅓ cup soy sauce,
2 tablespoons sesame oil, 3 tablespoons rice wine or sherry,
1 tablespoon water, 1 ½ tablespoon rice vinegar, 1 tablespoon canola oil, 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar,
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger, 1 minced garlic clove, and ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional - I usually leave this out if I'm serving the noodles to my kids). Blend until smooth.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add 1 pound whole wheat spaghetti or soba noodles. Cook according to the package directions or until the noodles are al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water.
Place the noodles in a large bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons sesame oil. To the noodles, add 1 cooked chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces; 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips; 1 cup sugar snap peas, trimmed; and 1 large carrot, julienned.
Pour the peanut sauce into the bowl and toss well.
Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds and serve.
Noodles with Peanut Sauce and Chicken
- 1 pound whole wheat spaghetti or soba noodles
- 1 cooked chicken breast cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 red bell pepper cut into thin strips
- 1 cup sugar snap peas trimmed
- 1 large carrot julienned
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- In a blender, combine 2 tablespoon sesame oil, peanut butter, soy sauce, rice wine, water, rice vinegar, canola oil, brown sugar, garlic, ginger and red chile flakes. Blend until smooth.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add whole wheat spaghetti or soba noodles. Cook according to the package directions or until the noodles are al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Place the noodles in a large bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons sesame oil. Add chicken, red bell pepper, sugar snap peas, and carrot. Pour the peanut sauce into the bowl and toss well. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and serve.