Sep 4
2010

Prosciutto, Goat Cheese & Cherry Jam Rolls Recipe

Prosciutto, Goat Cheese & Cherry Jam Rolls Recipe

With Labor Day upon us, a feeling of nostalgia for all-things “summer” overtakes me. The kids started back to school two weeks ago, so the feeling of being an empty-nester has been replaced by a mindset of, “How much can I get done in the 6 hours they are at school?” The sweet, sentimental mum has been replaced by “Schedule Mum”, an efficient, high-strung, clock-watching creature. Lunches made, clothes set out, soccer treats prepared…maniacal efficiency. Don’t get in her way – she may bowl you over in her over-exuberance to pull out of the garage on time. I am waiting for the day when I start to drive to school, then turn around to realize that I forgot the kids.

This frenzied state makes me yearn for the peaceful days we spent camping this summer. It is nearly impossible to feel stressed-out when sitting lakeside, cup of tea in hand, watching my husband and youngest son cut silently through the still water in our canoe.

Camping - Canoe Ride

Witnessing our eldest son, fishing rod gripped tightly, work endlessly to perfect his cast was both relaxing and gratifying. He tried so hard to catch us some trout for dinner, to no avail.

Fishing

These are the moments I will reflect upon when sticking to a schedule starts to take over our daily lives. I need to be reminded that, at times, it is okay just to sit back and watch the world go by. In fact, this is often when the best moments happen – when you least expect them and when you are not forcing them to occur. Summer is almost over, but that does not mean that we cannot relax and cherish the spontaneous moments.

If you are looking for a quick and easy Labor Day barbecue recipe to impress your guests, this is one to try. Slices of prosciutto are filled with tangy goat cheese, sweet cherry jam, and lightly-dressed lettuce. This was one of the most popular appetizer served at our cheese party several months ago.

Cut 3-4 large romaine lettuce leaves into thin strips crosswise to total 1 1/2 cup (packed), and place in a medium bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, pinch of salt, and a pinch of freshly ground black pepper. Toss the lettuce with the dressing until lightly dressed (you may not need all of the dressing).

ProsciuttoGoatCheeseRolls1

Cut 12 pieces of prosciutto in half crosswise. Spread 1 teaspoon goat cheese across one end of each piece of prosciutto. I used herbed goat cheese, but this works just as well with plain goat cheese. Top each with 1/2 teaspoon high-quality cherry preserves. Divide the dressed lettuce evenly across the pieces of prosciutto. Starting from the end covered with the filling, carefully roll each piece of prosciutto. Serve.

ProsciuttoGoatCheeseRollsLS
Other appetizers using prosciutto:

Cookin’ Canuck’s Mixed Mushroom, Prosciutto & Gorgonzola Crostini
Use Real Butter’s Grilled Prosciutto-Wrapped Shrimp
Dianasaur Dishes’ Involtini, Feta Prosciutto Rolls
Inn Cuisine’s Prosciutto Pinwheels with Mascarpone & Basil

Prosciutto, Goat Cheese & Cherry Jam Rolls

3-4 large romaine leaves, thinly sliced, crosswise (1 1/2 cup, packed)
3 tsp fresh lemon juice
3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
Pinch of salt
Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
12 pieces prosciutto, cut in half crosswise
1/2 cup goat cheese (chevre)
1/4 cup high-quality cherry preserves

Place lettuce in a medium bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss the lettuce with the dressing until lightly dressed (you may not need all of the dressing).

Makes 24 rolls.

1 The Local Cook September 4, 2010 at 3:12 pm

seriously, that sounds delicious! I'm drooling, and wishing for some cherry jam right now.

2 Tara September 4, 2010 at 4:34 pm

That looks delicious, Dara! I can completely relate to the frenzy now that school is back in session. My kindergartener is in school every morning so that means I have 2 hours in the morning to get things done. And then 2 hours in the afternoon before we need to pick up the oldest 2. Hectic.

3 T. September 4, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Yum! I'm putting these on the list of things to make when we're on our final holiday in Osoyoos in a couple of weeks!

4 Kalyn September 4, 2010 at 9:17 pm

You had me at goat cheese!

5 Tia September 4, 2010 at 10:25 pm

yummy flavor combo – sounds delicious

6 Carrian September 4, 2010 at 11:07 pm

so pretty, my pics need to look like yours

7 pegasuslegend September 4, 2010 at 11:58 pm

very creative, and the sweetness compliments this fabulous orderve!

8 Monet September 5, 2010 at 3:52 am

Yes. It is so important to remember and reflect on the quiet, wonderful moments we share, especially when the craziness of work and school begin to crowd our days. Thank you for sharing such beautiful photos (of both your family and food!)

9 Sara @OneTribeGourmet September 5, 2010 at 4:28 am

Love the combination of flavors!! You are a Super Mom!! :)

10 Kimberly September 5, 2010 at 7:16 am

brilliant in the simplicity and delicious flavors! My Mom is arriving soon and I am adding this to the special welcome dinner! Loved the pics from the lake as well – so summery and sweet!

11 bunkycooks September 5, 2010 at 12:49 pm

There are definitely mixed feelings with the end of Summer. I just had a fresh goat cheese appetizer last evening, but will be sure to try this recipe next time. It looks great!

12 Barbara @ Modern Comfort Food September 5, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Your imaginative way of combining wonderful ingredients in such deliciously interesting new ways never ceases to amaze me. I always come away from your recipes with the following jumble of thoughts: "How did Dara do that?" "Of course!" "Perfect!" and "That's for me!" Such a brilliantly simple combination of savory and sweet ingredients here.

13 Kristen September 6, 2010 at 2:53 pm

The sweet of the cherries with the crunch of the greens and the saltiness of the ham and tanginess of the goat cheese…I could just go on and on. It sounds wonderful.

14 Barbara Bakes September 6, 2010 at 8:27 pm

What fun pictures. I'm sad to see summer go too. Sounds like a fabulous flavor combination.

15 5 Star Foodie September 7, 2010 at 2:09 am

What a terrific appetizer – love the flavors, especially with the addition of my favorite bon maman cherry jam!

16 marla {family fresh cooking} September 7, 2010 at 10:34 pm

This is such a sweet post. I can identify with the feelings and thoughts you share. Pulling out of the drive way in a frenzied haze without the kids….yup I can see that happening over here. Lovely summer photos! Great memories indeed.

I can only imagine how wonderful this prosciutto is. the sweet, salty, smoky & creamy combo sounds amazing!

17 Elin September 8, 2010 at 1:23 pm

CC I can imagine how tasty this appetizer will be. Great combination of flavor !

18 Carrie September 8, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Sounds and looks wonderful! I love the flavor of goat cheese with sweet jams like that. Yum!

19 Jenny September 8, 2010 at 2:34 pm

It is bittersweet to see summer go for sure. I miss having my boys home, but then it is nice to be back in the routine!! Your recipe looks fabulous!!

20 Emily Malloy September 8, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Looks delicious! What fun family activity photos :-)

21 Michelle September 8, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Love this post and the photos! After our construction, I took a good 4 mos off but it wasn't long enough!

Gorgeous photos!

22 Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker September 8, 2010 at 4:06 pm

I love prosciutto! These look delicious and the cherry jam adds such a fabulous dimension!

23 Tracy September 8, 2010 at 5:17 pm

What a great snack, and such wonderful flavors! Yum!

24 Maria September 8, 2010 at 5:47 pm

I am always up for goat cheese! Gorgeous photos!

25 Lori Lynn September 11, 2010 at 10:42 pm

Those are awesome photos. Looks so delicious.
LL

26 Connie September 13, 2010 at 10:00 am

I love goat cheese. I'd eat it with every meal if it weren't so darn expensive in Asia.

27 the wicked noodle October 1, 2010 at 9:49 pm

So, I just headed over to Refrigerator Soup to see how it's doing (I created that site then sold it), when I see this delicious-looking photo! I click on it and lo and behold, my new friend Cookin' Canuck is behind it! lol!! Can't wait to try this!

28 Sally - My Custard Pie October 4, 2010 at 7:33 am

This recipe is on my 'to cook' list. Love the lake picture – I needed to contemplate a calming scene today.