Apr 21
2011

Strawberry & Goat Cheese Green Salad with Basil Vinaigrette Recipe

Strawberry & Goat Cheese Green Salad with Basil Vinaigrette Recipe

“If I actually liked the ingredients in there, that salad would look really good,” said my 9-year old son as I was photographing this recipe. Umm…thank you? Well, this might not be a hit with the under 10 crowd, but I think this strawberry and goat cheese green salad would be a welcome addition to any Easter meal. After all, we all need something healthy to offset the pounds of Easter cookies and chocolate eggs we are bound to consume. Whether you celebrate with a brunch of Heath Bar Cinnamon Rolls and Hot Cross Buns, or a more traditional meal of ham and Scalloped Potatoes with Three Cheeses, this light and easy dish boasts the flavors of spring.

The basil vinaigrette follows the basic principles outlined in How to: Make a Vinaigrette, using a ratio of vinegar and oil and an earthy flavor from fresh herbs. The bright green dressing comes together in minutes by being pureed in a blender. The rest of the salad is a simple combination of red leaf lettuce, sweet strawberries, tangy goat cheese and toasted almonds.

The vinaigrette:

In a blender or mini food processor, combine fresh basil leaves, white wine vinegar and olive oil. Puree until fairly smooth (small pieces of basil are okay). Season to taste with salt and pepper.

StrawberryGSSalad3

The salad:

In a small skillet set over medium heat, toast slivered almonds until light golden brown, stirring occasionally. Watch carefully so that the almonds do not burn.

Strawberry GS Salad Collage

In a large bowl, combine torn red leaf lettuce, sliced strawberries, almonds and crumbled goat cheese. Toss with desired amount of basil vinaigrette. You will not need all of the vinaigrette. Serve immediately.

StrawberryGSSaladLS

Other green salads with fruit:

Cookin’ Canuck’s Spinach Salad with Chicken, Orange & Avocado
Cookin’ Canuck’s Spinach Salad with Fuyu Perismmon, Jicama & Avocado w/Miso Dresing
Family Fresh Cooking’s Salad with Goat Cheese Toasted Pecan Balls & Raspberry Vinaigrette
Citron et Vanille’s Grilled Sweet Potato & Spinach Salad with Blood Orange

Strawberry & Goat Cheese Green Salad with Basil Vinaigrette

The vinaigrette:
10 large fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

The salad:
1/3 cup sliced almonds
6 cups (packed) torn red lettuce leaves
1 1/4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
2 oz. goat cheese, crumbled

The vinaigrette:

The salad:

Makes 4 servings

1 Katrina April 22, 2011 at 12:35 am

This salad is lovely! I love the dressing – it’s so unique for a salad like this.

2 claudia lamascolo/aka pegasuslegend April 22, 2011 at 4:45 am

Another great salad.. I love to try new ones as a diet gets really boring this is just the one I needed thank you and Happy Easter to you and your family!

3 Sinful Southern Sweets April 22, 2011 at 4:52 am

Very nice! Love the colors and flavor combos!

4 Heather (Heather's Dish) April 22, 2011 at 5:59 am

i have the most incredible strawberries in my house right now and all the fixings for this salad! it looks and sounds amazing!

5 Drick April 22, 2011 at 6:18 am

love a tart salad with strawberry vinaigrette so I know I would like this one with the mild goat cheese and fresh berries too
Happy Easter and holiday cooking to you and yours Dara…

6 briarrose April 22, 2011 at 7:03 am

Wonderful mix of flavors. I am so on a strawberry kick lately so this is perfect.

7 brandi April 22, 2011 at 7:37 am

well, I think it sounds fantastic! I love strawberries on salads.

8 Beverly April 22, 2011 at 8:06 am

I love your son’s comment! I, for one, cannot wait to try this salad.

9 Jen @ keepitsimplefoods April 22, 2011 at 9:08 am

Love this salad! Light, colorful and simply gorgeous!

10 EatLiveRun April 22, 2011 at 9:26 am

beautiful salad, Dara! I love the color of that basil vinegarette!

11 bellini April 22, 2011 at 10:17 am

The season of salads and grilling is just beginning!!!!

12 Amanda April 22, 2011 at 10:30 am

Gorgeous salad, LOVE the basil vinaigrette!

13 Parsley Sage April 22, 2011 at 11:14 am

Brilliant salad. I was at the grocery store yesterday and unfortunately the island is out of strawberries, apparently. Sigh. I’d love to find some before Sunday tho so we could have this lovely salad with our ham! Thanks so much for sharing.

14 Traci April 22, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Just bought all these ingredients at the store today before stumbling on your post. Guess I know what I’m trying for lunch today. Thank you!!

15 Christine@christinespantry.blogspot.com April 22, 2011 at 1:46 pm

What a refreshing salad. Love it! Thanks for sharing!

Happy Easter,

Christine

16 Tracy April 22, 2011 at 2:24 pm

What a light and fresh spring salad! I’m loving it!

17 Maris (In Good Taste) April 22, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I half agree with your adorable son-Salad does look good but we do differ in that I would love to have that in front of me right now!

18 Lindsey@Lindselicious April 22, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Oooh I love the dressing with basil. I can’t wait to get this into my salad rotation.

19 Paula (Salad in a Jar) April 22, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Fresh basil gets my attention every time. Beautiful salad.

20 Laurie @SimplyScratch April 22, 2011 at 9:04 pm

I love this combonation of flavors! Delicious!

21 Laurie @SimplyScratch April 22, 2011 at 9:05 pm

I meant I love this combination.. that’s what I get for late night blog commenting!! :)

22 Heather April 22, 2011 at 10:31 pm

The perfect salad for spring!

23 sheila @ Elements April 22, 2011 at 11:44 pm

How beautiful!!! I could eat this every day and not get tired of it! :)

24 Penny April 23, 2011 at 5:49 am

Getting youngsters to try anything is always a challenge, but once you do get them out of their “comfort zone” they discover new tastes and favorites.

I made a very similar salad just a few days ago (no goat cheese) and added some red raspberries to the vinaigrette.

25 Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels April 23, 2011 at 7:47 am

What a gorgeous salad! I’m always impressed by your stunning photos. I love the idea of a basil vinaigrette. I can’t wait to try it out. :)

26 Mary April 24, 2011 at 4:33 pm

This salad looks wonderful, so refreshing. What a lovely combination of flavors.
Mary

27 marla April 25, 2011 at 8:26 am

Dara, I always love the pairing of goat cheese and berries! My kids would do the same thing as your son. They gawk over my food styling sessions and then won’t eat half of the stuff when offered. Go figure! More for us :) Thanks for linking back to my raspberry goat cheese salad.

28 Nithu April 25, 2011 at 11:16 am

I love the salad, specially the dressing.

29 Jamie @ Wokintime April 25, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I love this salad!!! The colors and the flavors work so well together. My daughter would eat the cheese and my son would steal all the strawberries.

30 Roz April 25, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Love this salad. I’m creating a similar strawberry salad right now, but with a different dressing, but yours is tops! I wish I had this for Easter. Perfect photography too! Thanks for the inspiration! Now following cuz I just love your blog! Roz

31 Danni April 26, 2011 at 1:54 am

You have such gorgeous photos on your blog! I’m a fellow Camp Blogaway camper. I figured I’d calm my nerves by saying hello to everyone online before this weekend, though it just seems to be getting me more excited (hence the 1:45am comment!) I’m looking forward to meeting you :)

~Danni with LambAround

32 Jason Phelps April 26, 2011 at 5:04 am

This salad combines elements that definitely make it greater than it s parts. Here’s to spring!

Jason

33 Maria April 26, 2011 at 8:28 am

Beautiful salad!

34 Kristen | Pixelated Crumb April 27, 2011 at 7:39 pm

What a beautiful salad! We made it tonight and loved it. The mellow, creamy goat cheese, the nutty crunch of the almonds, and fresh bright strawberries were just perfect for a light spring meal. Thanks for the recipe!

35 thepickyeater May 3, 2011 at 8:09 am

hey dara …i love this salad…definitely going to make it. strawberry in salad sounds good to me ! thanks for stopping by….hope you make that mousse someday – its delicious !!
- shruts