May 22
2011

Rhubarb Fool with Whipped Cream & Gingersnaps Recipe

Rhubarb Fool with Whipped Cream & Gingersnap Recipe

There are several recipes that evoke strong memories for my husband. They are ones that his mum made in his childhood and prepares whenever we visit. From The Family Crockpot Applesauce to his grandmother’s molasses cake, the recipes are not fancy, but they are full of flavor and made with a great deal of care.

One can not mention my husband’s favorite foods without including rhubarb. This tart vegetable, often treated as a fruit, is intricately woven through his memories of long-ago visits to his grandparents’ farm in northern New York. His grandparents diligently maintained their orchards full of apple and cherry trees, but it was the rhubarb patch that produced the bowl of compote that was served each night with dinner. To this day, my husband will choose rhubarb pie when presented with an array of dessert choices. Not strawberry-rhubarb pie, mind you. Just rhubarb. The man is a purist.

A fool is a classic English dessert, made of pureed fruit and whipped cream. I strayed slightly from the traditional by adding in a layer of crushed gingersnap cookies. After my success in pairing rhubarb with gingersnaps in my Rhubarb Cheesecake Bars with Gingersnap Crust, I knew that the spicy sweetness of the cookies would be a perfect foil for the slightly tart rhubarb compote and whipped cream.

If you wish, prepare the rhubarb compote up to two days ahead. If you have company for dinner, whip the cream and crush the gingersnap cookies earlier in the day and layer the dessert just before serving. With only five ingredients, this dish makes an impressive presentation with very little effort.

The rhubarb compote:

In a medium saucepan, stir together chopped rhubarb pieces and sugar. Let rest for 15 minutes to allow the rhubarb to release some juices.

Set the saucepan over medium-high heat and bring the rhubarb to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until rhubarb is very tender, about 12 minutes.

Remove from the heat and allow rhubarb to cool. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow the compote to thicken.

RhubarbFool1

The rest:

In the bowl of a stand mixer (or a large bowl, using a hand mixer), beat the whipping cream and powdered sugar until stiff.

Using 6 ounce glasses, alternate the compote, whipped cream and crushed gingersnaps in layers, ending with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkling of gingersnap crumbs. Serve.

Rhubarb Fool with Whipped Cream Gingersnaps Recipe

Other rhubarb desserts:

Cookin’ Canuck’s Rhubarb Cheesecake Bars with Gingersnap Crust
Cookin’ Canuck’s Cornmeal, Rosemary & Lemon Cake with Rhubarb & Strawberry Sauce
Honey & Jam’s Lemon Buttermilk Rhubarb Bundt Cake
White on Rice Couple’s Rhubarb Strawberry Crumb Bars
Two Peas and Their Pod’s Rhubarb Apple Bread

Rhubarb Fool with Whipped Cream & Gingersnaps

The compote:
4 cups (about 4 large stalks) chopped rhubarb (about 1/2-inch pieces)
1/3 cup granulated sugar

The rest:
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
3 tbsp powdered sugar
1 cup crushed gingersnap cookies (about 16 cookies)

The compote:

Serves 4.

1 Jessica @ How Sweet May 23, 2011 at 4:51 am

Love this… it is gorgeous!

2 Heather (Heather's Dish) May 23, 2011 at 5:48 am

for some reason i can’t find rhubarb anywhere near me right now, but i’m dreaming of making this recipe now! yum!

3 Mai May 23, 2011 at 7:43 am

I’ve never had rhubarb before. What does it taste like? These looks so ridiculously good! Btw, thanks for stopping by. I love all your photos. AMAZING!!!

4 Pretend Chef May 23, 2011 at 7:49 am

Never knew that rhubarb was a vegetable. Learn something new every day. This looks so delicious. Miss my grandpa’s garden and his bounty of rhubarb. Yummy!

5 Eileen May 23, 2011 at 7:53 am

I love rhubarb, too – with or without strawberries. I also have a husband with childhood food memories that I have tried to satisfy, but sadly, unsuccessfully. What I make is delicious but doesn’t taste like what Mom, Nana, or Aunt Gayle used to make. I’ve learned through many attempts that I simply can’t make perfect replicas. My kitchen is different, my pans are different sizes, my ingredients different brands, my habits in the kitchen my own, and then there’s this question: can anything stand up to a memory? If Mom, Nana, or Aunt Gayle cooked for my husband today, would it taste the same as he remembered? I think not. So I no longer strive for replicas (and breathe a sigh of relief.) Instead, I make my own recipes, some of which are inspired by his childhood (and carry wisps of nostalgia), but are firmly rooted in my kitchen, in the here & now. Here’s to that crossover of past & present, where inspiration meets creativity, we remember those we love(d) & it all tastes good!

6 A Canadian Foodie May 23, 2011 at 8:10 am

Dara!
What great timing!
My rhubarb has just reared its head and there is enough there for a yummy treat. I am surprised it is also not one of your childhood memories as a Canadian. Or is it just not such a pleasant one?
I am committed to using everything that is edible and grows in my garden as much as I can this year as the garden is fairly small and this is the first summer we have been home for years. (I love that your hubby is a purist! I am, too, when it comes to rhubarb!)
Have any good ideas about what I can do with a truckload of chives?
I have been in a huge blogging slump lately. Not posting much, not reading or responding. I found myself completely worn out after Eat Alberta, yet this morning, as it is a cold day after such a hot one yesterday, as I sit with my coffee, I am warmed all over with what I am reading here. I hope I can get back into the program! I miss everyone and everything. Thank you for my “good morning” inspiration and have a great week!
Valerie

7 Kay, The Church Cook May 23, 2011 at 8:26 am

Oh, my goodness, Dara! How beautiful is THAT. Love anything I can make ahead. Great looking recipe. Thank you.

8 Niki May 23, 2011 at 9:06 am

I’m on the hunt for this elusive rhubarb. I want to try it and get this Laurie Berkner song out of my head! (do you know it. rhubarb pie is a hot commodity…hot commodity.) Apparently it is because I have yet to find rhubarb in Philly!

9 Maria May 23, 2011 at 9:27 am

We are drowning in rhubarb! I can’t wait to make this!

10 Jenny Flake May 23, 2011 at 9:38 am

Now that is a good lookin’ dessert! Count me in :) Missed you this weekend Dara, hope to get to see you soon!

11 Katrina May 23, 2011 at 10:45 am

This sounds perfect! Great recipe.

12 Lauren at Keep It Sweet May 23, 2011 at 10:56 am

What a gorgeous dessert! I love anything in a parfait form and this looks especially delicious.

13 Heather at FarmgirlGourmet May 23, 2011 at 11:02 am

Looks gorgeous Dara!! Yum!

14 Kate@Diethood May 23, 2011 at 11:09 am

Um…delicious, gorgeous, yummo… I’m drooling!

15 jenna May 23, 2011 at 11:13 am

what a perfect summer dessert!!

16 Rachel @ Baked by Rachel May 23, 2011 at 11:38 am

The gingersnaps is where you pulled me in. I’ve never tried rhubard but I’m a sucker for gingersnaps. Looks incredible!

17 Sommer@ASpicyPerspective May 23, 2011 at 11:54 am

Hey Dara, what a way to bring gingersnaps back into warm weather treats. Bril-liant! (I sang that last part.) ;)

18 Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. May 23, 2011 at 11:56 am

Great way to use rhubarb while it’s at its peak season

19 Kristina @ spabettie May 23, 2011 at 11:56 am

I have been looking forward to rhubarb – cannot wait to cook with it :)

this looks perfect – just beautiful!

20 EatLiveRun May 23, 2011 at 11:57 am

Dara, this looks delicious!! Love the combination of rhubarb and gingersnaps…must make this soon!

21 Gourmantine May 23, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Beautiful dessert Dara, it truly celebrates the flavor of rhubarb!

22 Becky at VintageMixer May 23, 2011 at 1:00 pm

sounds delicious! I wish my rhubarb was ripe. Maybe I’ll try a raspberry version.

23 pigpigscorner May 23, 2011 at 2:07 pm

I’ve only cooked with rhubarb once, my hubs complained that it was too tart for him. I love it though, like how you served with gingersnaps.

24 sippitysup May 23, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I am with your husband. Rhubarb alone is the way to go most times! GREG

25 Elle May 23, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Gorgeous! I just picked some rhubarb up this weekend, so looking for good ideas.

26 Drick May 23, 2011 at 3:45 pm

like the crunchy additions too, momma did something similar, a peach one with crushed pecan sandies, but she would have never called it a fool…. actually, we did not know back in our little town… now that I do know, I have not thought about fools in a long time, well, these kind anyway…

27 Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels May 23, 2011 at 4:14 pm

What a gorgeous dessert! I love rhubarb and I love how there’s gingersnap cookies in this recipe. :)

28 Rice Kernel May 23, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Despite how ubiquitous rhubard recipes are these days, I STILL have not tried one. I think I have to. This is perfect for memorial day in the US (coming up this weekend) – sprinkled with some blueberries for a festive note. Thank you for the inspiration!

29 Lori @ Girl Meets Oven May 23, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I’m a fool for rhubarb, but I have never made a rhubarb fool. :) This looks wonderful, especially with the gingersnaps and whipped cream.

30 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) May 23, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Ha! You made me giggle with this comment.

31 Jeanette May 23, 2011 at 9:24 pm

I have to confess that I have never made anything with rhubarb, but am definitely going to try it! You have inspired me!

32 Delishhh May 23, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Oh Dara – i LOVE rhubarb – actually I am a rhubarb addict. I got a big grocery bag from a co-worker filled with rhubarb this past week and i have been baking and doing crazy rhubarb recipes all weekend. And i have even been eating it just raw with sugar. But one of my favorite is just make this compote and eat it as is. It’s fabulous recipe and next time i have to add some gingersnaps. Wonderful post!

33 marla May 24, 2011 at 6:10 am

Dara, love that you added the gingersnaps, a fun twist on the traditional fool. Must get my hands on some rhubarb. Loved it as a kid & have not had it in years….xo

34 Emily @Cleanliness May 24, 2011 at 8:41 am

Yum!! This looks SO GOOD.

35 The Cilantropist May 24, 2011 at 10:34 am

Like your husband, I have lots of memories of rhubarb as a child, but they are from my grandmother. I love the tart flavor and subtle muted color of cooked rhubarb, and this quick and easy dessert of yours is perfect for summer. Plus, I am a sucker for layered desserts. ;)

36 Carolyn May 24, 2011 at 11:06 am

I am a rhubarb fool! No really, I am, I love the stuff tremendously. Made some sorbet with it that was divine. I’d gobble up this fool in about 2 seconds flat.

37 RavieNomNoms May 24, 2011 at 11:19 am

Wow look at that!! I have never seen rhubarb like this. Looks great and soooo pretty :-)

38 Belinda @zomppa May 24, 2011 at 11:25 am

Such a great sweet, gingery combination!! Love it!

39 Lindsey@Lindselicious May 24, 2011 at 12:56 pm

I cant believe I havent tried Rhubarb!! This looks amazing, I am beinging to feel like i am really missing out on something great. =)

40 Tracy May 24, 2011 at 5:03 pm

I looove rhubarb and rhubarb fool, but I’ve never added gingersnaps before! Lovely!

41 Monet May 24, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Smile. I love how you style your photographs. The rhubarb looks so lovely next to that blue. This post is making my stomach growl and my face smile. Thanks for sharing, sweet thing! I hope you have a beautiful day tomorrow.

42 Maris(In Good Taste) May 25, 2011 at 4:20 am

This is absolutely gorgeous!

43 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen May 25, 2011 at 5:19 am

I love the beautiful layers, such an easy and elegant dessert.

44 Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum May 25, 2011 at 5:46 am

What a great way to use rhubarb! And ginger snaps?! Brilliant.

45 Vicki @ WITK May 25, 2011 at 9:44 am

This is such a beautiful dessert. I’m totally taken in by the gingersnap recipe, looks like the perfect treat for spring.

46 Sukaina May 25, 2011 at 11:09 am

Rhubarb is a vegetable…now that’s news for me! I love layered sweets and I’m sure the ginger biscuits pair beautifully with the rhubarb.

47 Katherine May 25, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I just saw the first rhubarb of the season where I am and I’m so excited! Lovely recipe and beautiful photos!

48 Shaina May 26, 2011 at 7:07 am

Divine! I love the addition of gingersnaps.

49 Dan June 17, 2011 at 8:28 am

This looks so yummy. The gingersnap bits do it for me.

My colleague gave me a TON of rhubarb and most of it is sitting in the freezer. So far, we’ve made rhubarb chicken curry and rhubarb banana bread. This looks like a great use for it as well.