Dec 30
2011

New Year’s Eve Recipes: Appetizers, Hors D’Oeuvres & Cocktails

New-Year's-Eve-Recipes-Appetizers-Hors-D'Oeuvres-Cocktails-Cookin-Canuck

I never used to believe my parents when they told me that time starts to go faster as you get older. Now I know exactly what they were talking about. When I started to sift through all of the photos of 2011 for our annual family calendar and Christmas card, I realized that we had a full year, including our Alaskan Disney cruise, family hikes and forays into clay pigeon shooting. On the other hand, it feels like just a few weeks since we raised our bubbly glasses of Prosecco to ring in 2011. Now it’s time to pull out all of our favorite New Year’s Eve appetizer, hors d’oeuvres and cocktail recipes and stir up a bubbling pot of cheese fondue as we flip the calendar to 2012.

New-Year's-Recipes-Appetizers-Hors-D'Oeuvres-Cocktails-Cookin-Canuck
Our Christmas card photos this year.

The Christmas holidays were happily filled with family visiting from Canada, California and Oregon. It was so good to have everyone here but, I’ll be honest, we are now ready for a long winter’s nap. So, try as we might to stay up until midnight on New Year’s Eve, realistically we’ll be taking a few sips of bubbly, singing a line or two of Auld Lang Syne and falling face first into our pillows as soon as the ball drops in Times Square (that would be at 10pm our time). This is what happens when you turn forty, folks. Long gone are the long nights of dancing on the tables and indulging in kamikazes. Truth be told, it would take a least a week to recover from a night like that. Pathetic, I know.

So, I am counting on all of you to line up the cocktails, make plates and plates of appetizers to serve to your guests and trip the light fantastic until the wee hours. Here are several recipes to get you started. Happy New Year to all of you!

Appetizers:

New Year's Collage 2

Clockwise from top left:
Baked Teriyaki Turkey Meatballs
Sun-Dried Tomato & Basil Cream Cheese Spread
Savory Cranberry, Pistachio & Goat Cheese Palmiers
Seared Scallops with Chimichurri Dressing

More Appetizers:

New Year's Collage 3

Clockwise from top left:
Onion & Bacon Marmalade (with Brie Cheese Crostini)
Savory French Toast Bites with Bacon, Tomato & Cheese
Shrimp, Sun-Dried Tomato & Feta Quesadilla
Grilled Zucchini Rolls with Herbed Goat Cheese & Kalamata Olives

Cocktails:

New Year's Collage 1

Left to right:
Kamikaze Cocktail or Shot
Passionfruit & Lime Gin Martini
Frozen Strawberry & Lime Daiquiri

Have a safe and fun celebration. I’ll see you in 2012.

1 Belinda @zomppa December 30, 2011 at 6:22 am

Love the holiday card! Those appetizers…I’d park myself in your kitchen and never leave…Happy new year!

2 Bev Weidner December 30, 2011 at 6:26 am

Holy crap. I can’t even tell you how incredible every single thing freaking looks. That brie crostini? Just stop it.

Those seared scallops? Death. Becomes. Me.

3 Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) December 30, 2011 at 7:44 am

Oh, what a party these recipes would make! Wishing you and your family and happy and healthy new year.

4 Marina {YummyMummyKitchen.com} December 30, 2011 at 8:43 am

All gorgeous recipes perfect for New Year’s Eve. I’ll take one of those cocktails anytime :) Happy New Year to you and your beautiful family, Dara.

5 Shirley @ gfe December 30, 2011 at 9:11 am

Stunning recipes, Dara! Love the cocktails, the family Christmas card, and all the sentiments you’ve expressed. :-)

Happy New Year!
Shirley

6 Lisa [With Style and Grace] December 30, 2011 at 10:45 am

these look incredible! Can I come to your party?? :) Happy New Year my friend!!

7 Tricia @ Saving room for dessert December 30, 2011 at 10:49 am

Great family photos! And of course the party food looks fantastic. I didn’t see what time the party starts! I’m RSVPing :)

8 Rachel @ Baked by Rachel December 30, 2011 at 11:25 am

Wow! I wish I were attending a party with all of those goodies. Delicious! Have a wonderful new year Dara!

9 Jersey girl cooks December 30, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Great appetizers! I used to love drinking kamikazes…they were the drink. Happy new year Dara!

10 Magic of Spice December 30, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Everything looks fantastic…love the cocktails :) Sounds like you had a lovely Christmas, and wishing you a wonderful 2012!

11 Jen at The Three Little Piglets December 30, 2011 at 6:47 pm

What a lovely roundup! Happy New Year’s to you and your family!

12 beti December 30, 2011 at 7:29 pm

everything looks simply delicious, the light in your photos is just amazing! new follower for sure :)

13 Hyosun Ro December 31, 2011 at 8:56 am

A lovely round of appetizers! Bookmarked. Look forward to seeing more awesome recipes from you in 2012. Happy New Year to you and your family!

14 Lori @ RecipeGirl December 31, 2011 at 9:39 am

Nice round up of delish apps! One of the highlights of my year was spending time with you! And that memorable meal at Chilis too ;) Hope to see you around in 2012 some more. Happy New Year, my friend!

15 Winnie December 31, 2011 at 9:43 am

Beautiful family, and beautiful recipes!!! Happy 2012 Dara- hope I get to meet you this year ;)

16 Lauren December 31, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Onion and Bacon Marmalade is sounding awfully tasty right now….Happy New Year, miss Dara!

17 MikeVFMK December 31, 2011 at 7:12 pm

All wonderful ideas. But I’ll be honest, this time I didn’t come here for the wondeful food and photos. I came to wish you and your family a wonderful new year. Happy New Year. Part Canadian/part American. All of it!

18 marla January 1, 2012 at 5:02 am

I am in your club Dara. The time does pass way too quickly as you get older & I was happily tucked into bed with my daughter at 10pm last night.
Happy New Year my friend – looking forward to catching up with you in the new year! xo

19 marla January 1, 2012 at 5:03 am

Oh by the way…love the Christmas photos!

20 Frank January 1, 2012 at 7:55 am

What an elegant spread! Those scallops in particular look fantastic.

21 sippitysup.com January 1, 2012 at 4:35 pm