Jan 4

Low Fat Granola Bars with Bananas, Cranberries & Pecans Recipe

From all of your responses to Recipes for Good Healthy and Weight Loss in 2012, it sounds as though many of you are dedicated to either continuing healthy habits or creating some new ones. I alluded to a weight loss journey I have been on over the past several months and will be giving you tips and tricks that have worked for me. Let’s start with what they call “the most important meal of the day”. No, I’m not referring to that bowl of ice cream at 10pm when the kids are in bed and the sugary treats begin their siren call. I’m talking about breakfast. That is where these low fat granola bars, packed with bananas, dried cranberries and pecans, come into play.

Both my husband and I are runners and we log enough miles in the week to get our hunger urges revving at full speed. In addition, my husband lifts free weights and I attend an aerobic/strength training class a couple of times per week. That’s where this recipe comes in. The amazing woman who teaches the strength training class often provides us with her favorite healthy eating tips and the occasional recipe. I took this recipe, filled with fiber and natural sugars, and made a few tweaks based on my family’s taste preferences. It works perfectly as pre-exercise fuel or to curb afternoon hunger cravings.

These granola bars are soft and chewy rather than crispy and have a pleasing level of natural sweetness from the bananas, ground cinnamon and grated nutmeg. However, if you prefer granola bars with a touch more sweetness, consider adding a couple of tablespoons of maple syrup or honey. I snuck in some healthy omega-3 fats in the form of ground flax seeds, which are available in most grocery stores. Actually, we found our last batch of flax seed meal at Costco for a smokin’ price.

One of these bars, along with half an apple gives me enough fuel to carry me through my workouts. If you’re looking for an alternative, try my Healthy Yogurt Parfaits with Blueberries & Granola.

What are your favorite ways to fuel-up before your workouts? I’d love to hear your ideas.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9- by 13-inch baking sheet with parchment paper, with about 1 inch of parchment paper overlapping the sides.

Bake until the bars are golden brown and starting to separate from sides of the pan, about 30 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Use the parchment paper to lift the bars out of the pan. Let cool to room temperature, then cut into bars. Serve or store in an airtight container.

Other granola bars recipes:
Family Fresh Cooking’s Telluride Trail Bars
Two Peas and Their Pod’s Peanut Butter Granola Balls
Brown Eyed Baker’s Crunchy Good-for-You Granola Bars
Shutterbean’s Fully Loaded Granola Bars

Low Fat Granola Bars with Bananas, Cranberries & Pecans
From the kitchen of Cookin Canuck. www.cookincanuck.com
Serves: Makes approximately 18 bars.
  • 3½ cup oats
  • ¾ cup roughly chopped pecans
  • 3 large, ripe bananas
  • ⅔ cup unsweetened applesauce
  • ¾ cup dried cranberries
  • ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
  • ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
  • 2 tbsp ground flax seed (or flax meal)
  • ½ tsp salt
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Line a 9- by 13-inch baking pan with parchment paper, with about 1 inch of parchment paper overlapping the sides.
  3. Spread out the oats and chopped pecans on a baking sheet. Place in the oven until they are lightly toasted, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
  4. In a medium bowl, mash the bananas with the back of a fork. Stir in applesauce until combined.
  5. Transfer the oats and pecans to a large bowl and stir in dried cranberries, ground flax seed (flax meal), cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
  6. Stir the banana mixture into the oat mixture until well combined and starting to clump together. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and press down evenly.
  7. Bake until the bars are golden brown and starting to separate from sides of the pan, about 30 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
  8. Use the parchment paper to lift the bars out of the pan. Let cool to room temperature, then cut into bars.
  9. Serve or store in an airtight container.
Calories 137.5 / Total Fat 5.0g / Saturated Fat 0.6g / Sodium 65.2mg /
Carbohydrates 22.0g / Fiber 3.3g / Protein 2.8g / WW (Old Points) 3 / WW (Points+) 4
Nutrition Information
Serving size: 1 bar

1 Nicole, RD January 4, 2012 at 5:24 am

My coworker and I were just talking about how we wanted to make a healthy, low-sugar granola bar – these are perfect!

2 bellini January 4, 2012 at 6:00 am

Congratulations on reaching your goals and for sharing some tips. I look forward to hearing more!!

3 Blog is the New Black January 4, 2012 at 6:25 am

Dara, these look so tempting!!

4 Jess January 4, 2012 at 8:06 am

These look so great! I always want to try making my own granola bars, but half the time there’s so much sugar in them that they might as well be candy.

5 Lauren from Lauren's Latest January 4, 2012 at 9:14 am

Great recipe! I’m loving anything healthy these days. The holidays KILLED me!

6 Wenderly January 4, 2012 at 9:16 am

These sound so delicious Dara! I might try them with blueberries, so many possibilities! My kiddos will love them!

7 Emily @LivingLongfellow January 4, 2012 at 9:47 am

I’ve been looking for a homemade snack to eat before my night runs. I’ll try them! Thanks!

8 Tickled Red January 4, 2012 at 9:49 am

Girl you know my active guys will be all over these lovelies! My surfer will probably get in the kitchen for once and come up with some variations {faint}. Love em’ xoxo

9 Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables January 4, 2012 at 9:50 am

These look so delicious I can’t wait to try them! Thanks for a healthy recipe :)

10 Sarah @ The Cyclist's Wife January 4, 2012 at 11:04 am

Yum! Those look good. Excellent cycling snack!

11 claudia lamascolo January 4, 2012 at 11:35 am

perfect timing for this one, I am collecting all diet foods, been on a good role no pun intended of losing unwanted weight and this is a perfect addition of healthy eating.. Cant wait to try these~ Happy New Year to you and your family!

12 Divya January 4, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Happy New Year, Dara! Loving this recipe since I’ve been on the lookout for healthy recipes to help me stick to my resolutions this year. Thanks for sharing!

13 Lu January 4, 2012 at 2:27 pm

These look fantastic! And beautiful! I’ll try them this week!

14 Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels January 4, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Your photos are always so beautiful! I love granola bars especially homemade ones. I can’t wait to try out your recipe! :)

15 Lora @cakeduchess January 4, 2012 at 5:26 pm

I eat granola as a treat every night and can’t wait to make these:)Looks amazing!

16 Heidi / foodiecrush January 4, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Thanks to working for health magazines for nearly 15 years I’m pretty partial to the flax seeds and natural grains/oats etc too. Seriously nothing better. I add in flax to my oatmeal to keep me going til lunch. I haven’t been working out as much as I should but when I did I also loved making a smoothie with ice, chocolate flavored protein powder and a banana. Super rich and almost made me think I was having a treat. Almost…

17 Katrina January 4, 2012 at 6:02 pm

These look so good, Dara. They are the second healthy granola bar I’ve seen today and I’d like one of each! I’m about to post a healthy cookie with quinoa! Tis the season!

18 Sandy January 4, 2012 at 6:35 pm

I’ve been looking for something healthy to make and stick in my son’s flight bag. He flies really strange hours and you wouldn’t believe what he eats! These are the perfect answer, he won’t eat the dried, “crunchy” style. Thanks for testing them for us, I know they will taste great :)

19 DessertForTwo January 4, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Look at you, making healthy stuff for the New Year. I wish I could be more like you! I just used an entire stick of butter in a cake last night….a cake that serves two :/

Happy New Year :)

20 Kulsum at JourneyKitchen January 5, 2012 at 12:36 am

I’m not a runner and it shows! I have been looking for a healthy granola recipe and this looks like it. Thanks for posting

21 Liz January 5, 2012 at 5:11 am

Such a delicious, healthy snack! Beautiful photos as always….

22 Curt January 5, 2012 at 6:00 am

I love the cranberries and pecans!

23 Maria January 5, 2012 at 7:23 am

Just finished my workout and wish I had one of these bars!

24 Kristi Rimkus January 5, 2012 at 8:02 am

I like the nuts and flaxseed in your bars. That healthy fat is a must. Bookmarked this one to make over the weekend. Congratulations on your weight loss.

25 Sommer@ASpicyPerspective January 5, 2012 at 8:21 am

Hey Dara, What a great snack to start out the new year. IT sounds like the perfect lunchbox treat.

26 Lauren at Keep It Sweet January 5, 2012 at 8:43 am

These look delicious and I’d love to have them on hand for an afternoon snack!

27 Barbara @ Barbara Bakes January 5, 2012 at 10:24 am

We eat tons of granola bars. I don’t know why I haven’t made them yet. Looks like a great recipe.

28 Nicole, RD January 5, 2012 at 10:51 am

Just made these – they’re delicious! There’s no way I could make 30 bars, but I’m happy with the size of the 15 I cut. SO GOOD! Thanks!

29 Delishhh January 5, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Love these granola bars – i am a runner too – not right now i am due in 5 weeks :) but otherwise i am – and i actaully do not like to eat before my run or i feel “heavy” i usually do one long run a week 8-10 miles and then 2 shorter ones less than 5 miles. And on the long runs i just make sure i eat 2 hours before but it has to be something i do not “feel” afterward. Usually it is a banana and something else. If i eat just before my run i end up feeling heavy and burping it up all the way and i hate that.

30 Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen January 5, 2012 at 3:29 pm

I love granola bars and I really need to make some homemade ones. I love the banana in yours!

31 Monet January 5, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Now these look like bars I need to make and share ASAP! Healthy and delicous….perfect. Thank you for sharing yet another delectable post. I’m exhausted after my first day back from vacation, but happy to be reading your words and seeing your eats! I hope you are doing well, my friend.

32 MikeVFMK January 5, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Love homemade granola bars. And these look so good, Dara. Cranberries are a must too. Happy new year to you and your family!

33 sweetsugarbelle January 5, 2012 at 10:30 pm

These are beautiful!!!

34 beti January 5, 2012 at 11:04 pm

this is great! granola bars have been on my baking list for a long time, no I don’t have any excuses :)

35 Deborah January 6, 2012 at 7:53 am

My daughter loves granola bars – I’m thinking that these would be a great healthy snack to have on hand for her! (and for me, of course!)

36 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 6, 2012 at 11:44 am

Dara, these look awesome.

And I just saw your feature on Deborah’s site..I loved reading more about you :)

37 Jeanette January 6, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Love how simple these chewy granola bars are to make and love that there is no added sugar in them!

38 Kate January 6, 2012 at 2:16 pm

They look dee-LISH-US. I’m curious if you know the nutritional data per serving of these bars? I like to keep track. Thanks! :)

39 marla January 7, 2012 at 8:28 am

I am loving up these granola bars! How funny – I LOVE to use purees in our granola too!

40 JenE January 8, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I don’t know how to say this, b/c I usually love your recipes… but not so much this one. I’m trying to come up with a way to make it a little more tasty and still healthy. Everything I’ve seen has TONS of sugar, or NO added sugar. Help!

41 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) January 8, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Hi Jen, I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy these. Admittedly, I have cut most sugar out of my diet, so find myself satisfied with dishes that are sweetened naturally (e.g., the bananas). I’m assuming from your comment that the issue was taste/sweetness rather than texture. If that’s the case, then I have a few suggestions. First, try increasing the sweetness by adding a few tablespoons of maple syrup or honey. Taste the mixture before you bake it to help you judge. Secondly, you could add in some shredded coconut for added sweetness/flavor/texture. Third, you could increase the amount of the spices (cinnamon and nutmeg) or substitute them with spices that are more to your liking. Ground ginger would be really good. I hope this helps!

42 JenE January 10, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Good ideas, thanks! I’ve been on WW for over a year and am cutting out sugar too…. but I think the holidays set me back a bit. I had 2x today: once w/ some greek yogurt (YUM – great protein-rich snack) and then later just plain. Taste much better today, after being in the fridge overnight :) . Oh, and I added a few Ghirardelli 70% chocolate chips from the get-go? This mama needs a little chocolate! I’m putting this back on my “starred” list!

43 JenE January 12, 2012 at 4:54 pm

I must totally revise my comment. Now I love them. But I stand by my addition of Ghirardelli 70& chocolate chips :)
Just came in from shoveling after our first big snow in chicago and had one of these… what an AWESOME energy boost. Thanks, XO Jen

44 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) January 19, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Jen, I’m so glad that these eventually caught your fancy. Nothing wrong with tossing a little dark chocolate in there. I might try that myself next time.

45 Katelyn January 9, 2012 at 7:46 am

These look good, but for workouts I usually try and eat something with more protein. I really like the following protein shake. It tastes like an indulgent milkshake, but the calories are a little over 300 and it packs 32 grams of protein. It’s also fairly compatible with a low carb diet, about 13 grams of carbs, 3 of which are from fiber. Without the stevia this shake is still sweet, but if you want it milkshake sweet, you can add around 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon stevia.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Protein Shake
Yields 1 shake

1 scoop Twinlab ‘Vanilla Slam’ Whey Protein Powder (available in 5 pound containers on Amazon for a reasonable price)—-130 calories, 25 g protein
1 tbsp natural unsweetened peanut butter—100 calories, 5 g protein
8 ounces unsweetened chocolate Almond Breeze almond milk, chilled—45 calories, 2 g protein
A 2 inch chunk of banana—35 ish calories
1 teaspoon chocolate extract (optional-I like this to pump up the chocolate flavor even more)—10 ish calories
stevia to taste—0 calories
a handful of ice

I use my immersion blender to blend this, so clean up is simply rinsing off the head of the immersion blender.

46 Marly January 9, 2012 at 10:29 am

This is perfect! I love the idea of making your own granola bars. Thanks for another great recipe!

47 Hillary B January 9, 2012 at 11:11 am

Thanks for the recipe! I found it on Tasty Kitchen. I made these last night and am pleasantly surprised by them. I enjoyed the chewy texture. I thought these held their shape, were easy to cut and package in a snack size ziploc bag. I added about 3/4 cup of dark chocolate chips which I think really helped make them more of a snack and meant that my husband enjoyed them more! I used organic no sugar added applesauce and was missing some sweetness. I think I should add some honey to the ingredients as well as some shredded coconut as you suggested above. But, I have a sweet tooth!

48 Kim January 9, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Just found your site via Tasty Kitchen. These granola bars look great. I will be giving them a try very soon! I too have been on a weight loss journey and finding healthy alternatives for breakfast and workouts is a plus. I’ll be checking back soon!

49 Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free January 12, 2012 at 5:37 am

This looks fabulous! I love that it is sweetened with only fruit. I’m bookmarking this!

50 Abby Swenstein January 14, 2012 at 11:35 am

These look great.
How long will they stay fresh for?
Only two people in my household so I would like to know how long they will last and/or whether to refrigerate.

51 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) January 19, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Hi Abby, they stay fresh for about a week. However, they also freeze well. I suggest laying them on a baking sheet, covered with plastic wrap and foil, and freezing them. Once frozen, transfer to a freezer-proof container or resealable bag.

52 Aggie January 18, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Amazing. These look so good Dara. You are inspiring and motivating me to try new recipes…I have never made my own granola bars! These sound delicious!!

53 Tenesia January 19, 2012 at 3:12 pm

You know, I was with Jen E at first on this one. The recipe was easy to follow and made my house smell FANTASTIC but when I took my first bite the junk food addict in me was screaming for some chocolate or sugar (or both!). NOW however, Im totally addicted. The batch is in my fridge right now and I just grab them whenever I’m feeling peckish. Thanks so much for the great recipe! (Best part is I don’t have to feel guilty about having more than one)

54 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) January 19, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Woohoo! Another convert! LOL. I’m so glad you’re enjoying these, Tenesia. It’s so true that our taste buds really do become accustomed to the taste of sugar. We can definitely curb that by decreasing our intake.

55 Ashley January 23, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I just made these tonight and they are delicious!! I left out the nuts because my daughter is allergic to tree nuts/peanuts and added in rice crisp cereal and also didn’t add any extra sugar and it was great! Do you think that pumpkin puree would be good to substitute the banana with?

56 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) January 23, 2012 at 8:44 pm

I’m so glad you liked these, Ashley, and were able to change up the ingredients to suit your family’s needs. I haven’t tried using pumpkin puree, but I’ll bet it would work brilliantly. Let me know if you try it.

57 Beth R. June 25, 2012 at 6:39 pm

My daughter has tree nut/peanut allergies as well. Can I ask how you substituted the rice krispy cereal? Was it an equal conversion?

58 Trine January 26, 2012 at 7:29 am

Hi Dara,
Thank you so much for this recipe – the idea of the applesauce is just brilliant! I made these bars the other day, and they are delicious – but they are kind of soft and not really crispy. After a day in an airtight container they were even softer. Do you have any tips for making them more crispy or do I simply just need to bake them longer?

59 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) January 26, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Hi Trine, as I mentioned in the post, these bars are meant to be chewy rather than crispy. Applesauce and bananas both provide a lot of moisture (one of the reasons I love adding them to quick breads and muffins). I think that if you cooked them longer, you will find that they don’t get crisp and the other ingredients may be compromised. You might want to do a search on http://www.foodblogsearch.com/ for crispy granola bars. Good luck!

60 Tina-Lori February 1, 2012 at 6:24 am

Any idea what the nutritional information is regarding these bars? They sound fabulous and I can’t wait to try them but I am very carefully counting every calorie right now as I need to lose 100+ lbs. I love the fact that there is no added sugar as my husband is a diabetic and he will be able to eat these as well.

61 Muncho Mom February 12, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Hi! I have a go-to recipe for granola bites that I’ve been using for months now, but I am really looking forward to trying these, especially given the fact that they contain no oil. I do have one question – do you use instant oats or regular? Also, do you think I could substitute wheat germ for the flax seed? Thanks!

62 Catherine May 2, 2012 at 4:53 pm

I managed to burn mine, but they’re still super tasty. I leave stuff to cook while I do work or watch TV, which is fine for beans or applesauce or stews that cook for indefinite time periods. But I ought to get a loud timer…

I hadn’t thought to try banana in granola bars! I really like the banana/apple for the base. I’m moving soon though, so they were the “what’s in the pantry” flavor. If you’re looking for a way to mix it up, I think it turned out mighty tasty: I skipped the cranberries, walnuts and ground flaxseed and used a blend of sesame, pumpkin, flax and sunflower seeds that I usually put into my whole wheat bread. And I cooked two apples with the spices (allspice instead of nutmeg) and some cardamom pods to make the apple sauce.

…and I was bad and sprinkled some brown sugar on top. But just a little.

63 Deanna F May 17, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I made there last night. I used dried blueberries, raisins, and dates in place of the cranberries. I also put in pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and almonds for the amount of cashews. It’s such a great base recipe for creating a yummy and healthy snack! I’m in my first trimester and was wanting a good granola bar that was low in sugar and didn’t have soy….that pretty much eliminated every bar in the grocery store. But these are just right, thanks so much for the recipe! : )

64 Shea July 23, 2012 at 2:14 pm

I found this entry when searching for some satisfying, lower calorie granola bars for an upcoming road trip. These bars look delicious! Just what I was looking for. Being fruit sweetened is a bonus. Since I’m allergic to nuts, it’s also nice to just have one thing to substitute 😉 I imagine a mix of toasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds will work perfectly. Thanks!

65 Jes August 23, 2012 at 7:13 pm

These look fantastic! Do you happen to have the nutritional information – more specifically, the amount of calories? Sorry if it’s listed somewhere, but I can’t seem to find it.

66 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) January 3, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Hi Jes, I updated the post to include the nutritional information. I hope that helps.

67 Jenn September 5, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Has anyone tried these yet? I made them but the texture is a bit dense in the middle – a bit like a sponge – anyone else experience this or is it just my baking skills, haha

They are still good so I will eat them, just wondering if that’s what the recipe is like.

68 Cheryl Maksymowski January 3, 2013 at 10:18 am

I too was wondering about the nutritional values… How would I enter these into myfitnesspal? Can’t wait to make them – they look so tasty!

69 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) January 3, 2013 at 10:27 am

I will update this recipes in the next day or two, listing the nutritional values. In the meantime, you can enter ingredient lists under the recipe tab (when accessing MFP from your computer). Give the recipe a name, list the ingredients and number or servings, and MFP will figure out the nutritional info for you. It will save that recipe for you so that you can click on it each time you use it. It’s a little work up front, but makes things so much easier later.

70 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) January 3, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Hi Cheryl, I updated the post to include the nutritional information. I hope that helps.

71 Amanda S. January 5, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Hi Dara,I made the bars this morning and they turned out great,just wondered can these bars be frozen or just kept in the fridge? And how long do they last since they have the banana in them?

72 Erin January 6, 2013 at 6:57 pm

these look great! does anyone have an idea of how many calories are in one bar?

73 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) January 6, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Hi Erin, the nutritional information is listed at the bottom of the recipe, at the end of the post. The information is relevant for one bar, assuming that you cut the pan of them into 18 bars. I hope you enjoy them!

74 HoneyBun February 28, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Made these last night. I personally did not care the banana flavour and lack of sweetness. I ended up breaking up all the bars and putting them in a food processor along with 1/4 cup of maple syrup, 1 tbsp of honey, 3 tbsp of melted butter, 1 tsp of cinnamon and 1/2 tsp of salt. Re-bake at 325 for 15 minutes. Result: Acceptable granola!

75 Veronica March 7, 2013 at 4:40 pm

CONGRATULATIONS!! I’ve been SCOURING the internet, googling “healthy granola bars” and all of the recipes I found had 1/2c to 1 c of sugars (white, brown, maple syrup, agave, honey etc etc etc) … hardly healthy!!!
So, CONGRATULATIONS on being the first genius on the internet who has figured out granola bars without the sugar. I can’t wait to try these. Oh, and then adapt them!! And then make some of your other delicious recipes.

76 Daniela March 16, 2013 at 2:44 am

Hi, do those bars last for as long as bought musli bars? Or do you rather recommend to eat them in couple of days? Thank you :)

77 jenndpan March 24, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Our family made the switch to a clean eating diet and have struggled finding great and satisfying snacks for the kids and hubby. I just made these and they are delicious!! I love the natural sweetness from the banana. I made them just as instructed, except I added 1 tbs of honey. Great chewy texture and very satisfying!

78 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) March 27, 2013 at 7:36 am

I’m so glad you enjoyed them! Thanks for letting me know.

79 Lovisa April 9, 2013 at 12:24 am

can I substitute the bananas for something else? I’m allergic :(

80 Denise Leonard May 14, 2013 at 3:33 am

Hi there, these sound great! I was wondering can I actually add protein powder to these and also thinking of using Almond Meal instead of Flaxseed (as have Almond Meal already) – is that okay do you think?

Also is it possible to freeze these?

Thanks :)

81 web hosting May 16, 2013 at 6:53 am

I’ve been surfing online more than 3 hours these days, yet I by no means discovered any interesting post like yours. It’s fairly really worth sufficient for me. In my opinion, if all internet owners and bloggers made good content material while you did, the internet will probably be much more helpful than ever before.

82 kate November 20, 2013 at 7:43 pm

hi…….loved this recipe except for the bananas ;(.. what else would make a binder? i’ve experimented much but can’t get the bars to stick together…..either flaky or rocklike……
thanks 😉

83 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) November 21, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Hmm, since the bananas are such a big part of this recipe, it’s hard to put in a one-to-one alternative. Perhaps you could try peanut butter, but you’d have to play around with the ratios.

84 kate December 19, 2013 at 8:08 pm

wow – sorry i didn’t see your answer forever!!
i plan to use almond butter – onlyt made these all of last winter and none of them turned out right (i ate em though) need help with the moist/dry ratio i think.

85 Laur March 9, 2014 at 4:16 pm

We love these!! I brought them in to work and each person who tries it, wants the recipe! Simple and delicious! Thank you so much for sharing!

86 Kimberley March 24, 2015 at 10:35 am

Loved making a healthy snack or breakfast for my family. It was a little costly to buy all the ingredients, but in the long run I now have all the ingredients and can make more. Will make this a couple times over. Thanks for sharing!