Jun 24
2013

Healthy Chicken & Spinach Lasagna Recipe, & a Word Rant

Your family will never miss the extra calories in this healthy lasagna recipe.
Healthy Chicken & Spinach Lasagna Recipe | cookincanuck.com for allparenting.com #lasagna #pasta

“Lasagna? But it’s spelled la-SAG-na. I don’t get it, Mum. Why do we say it that way?” Of course, that led into a discussion of various words and expressions that we borrow from different countries.

But while we’re on the subject, I have a little bone to pick. That is, if one can pick a bone with an entire language. Tell me I’m not the only one driven batty by the seeming lack of logic in the English language. Were we really trying to make up some secret spy language when it inadvertently turned into the second most widely spoken language in the world? (Mandarin’s the first…I know, inquiring minds want to know).

Let me show you what I mean. I’ll start with “height”, which doesn’t have one single suggestion of the “g” sound in the pronunciation. And when someone says “heighTH”, my brain explodes a little bit.

And what about “laugh”? Who the heck thought (there’s another one) it was a good idea to make “gh” say “f”? I feel a certain level of malice (which, coincidentally, does not rhyme with “police”) towards that worm (again, coincidentally, does not rhyme with “storm”). Oh, my aching brain.

And why does “ch” in “aching” say “k”?

And “through”. If we mean for it to be pronounced with an “oo”, why don’t we just spell it “throo”?

And are “worse” and “horse”, or “beard” and “heard” supposed to rhyme? Because, clearly, they do not. You’re saying them to yourself right now. I can hear you.

And don’t even get me started on “daughter” and “laughter”. Clearly, it was a linguist who had downed one too many bourbons (ack! There’s another one!) who thought it would be a great joke to pronounce one with an “f” sound and neither with a “g”.

By the way, did you notice “would” in that last sentence? Don’t even get me started on the whole “-ould” thing.

Whew! I’m a little tired now. I think that rant calls for a plateful of la-saG-na and a shot of Gin.

If you just want to make the lasagna, and don’t really care about how’s it spelled or pronounced, head to allParenting for the recipe.

More healthy pasta recipes:

Healthy Pasta Recipes | cookincanuck.com
Cookin’ Canuck’s Leftover Turkey (or Chicken) Lasagna Rolls with Sun-Dried Tomatoes & Spinach
Cookin’ Canuck’s Whole Wheat Pasta Salad with Salmon, Tomatoes & Herb Dressing
The Iron You’s Kale Pasta Salad
Teach. Eat. Love.’s Pasta e Ceci (Pasta with Chickpeas)
e is for eat’s Orzo with Olives, Sun Dried Tomatoes, Feta & Pine Nuts

1 Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet June 24, 2013 at 5:51 am

I am laughing a lot over this! Try explains to an Italian why we call lasagna, lasagna and the all about the English language. My husband is for Italy and sometimes I just have to say honey I don’t know that is just how we say it!

2 Tieghan June 24, 2013 at 6:05 am

This post cracked me up! My family always call Lasagna, La SAG na! It is more of a joke than anything else, but that is how we say it!

This looks so good! I can not wait to make it!

3 Rachel @ Baked by Rachel June 24, 2013 at 7:24 am

Hilarious and absolutely true in every way! Plus I’m totally in love with this lasagna. We haven’t had lasagna in way too long. Totally adding it to the menu soon. :)

4 kelley June 24, 2013 at 8:04 am

I feel like you just gave me an English lesson. My head is exploding right now. And you’ve given me way too much to think about this morning :)
The lasagna looks delish, btw!

5 carrian June 24, 2013 at 8:19 am

Oh, I love you. The English language is whack. Truth

6 Bev @ Bev Cooks June 24, 2013 at 8:24 am

I need a drink. And some of this lasawnya.

7 Sommer @ ASpicyPerspective June 24, 2013 at 8:48 am

You’re right, I was saying the words out loud! lol Thought-provoking and hilarious! :) La-saG-na looks great too! :)

8 Liz June 24, 2013 at 9:44 am

So many beautiful recipes to try. Thank you Dara. Have a wonderful day!

9 Amanda June 24, 2013 at 9:45 am

lol , don’t get me started on crazy words! :)

10 Sally@gooddinnermom June 24, 2013 at 11:02 am

This is funny/frustrating to be sure! My 10 year old said, just last night, “Mom, Dad and I are thinking that words should just be spelled how they sound.” And then proceeded to give me several examples that make no sense at all. So rant away! We’re with ya! (I tried to be clever and spell some words in my comment the way they should be spelled if we used logic, but auto-correct wouldn’t allow it)

11 Holly June 24, 2013 at 11:58 am

Great looking dinner! I agree with you about our spelling and lack of logic as it pertains to some words. I find myself spinning in circles when I try to explain some of those words to my youngest who is beginning to read. Cute to hear him try some of these words but tricky to get it right.

12 Barbara | Creative Culinary June 24, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Blame it on the British?

My solution for the word lasagna? Well, first I think you have to blame the Italians for that one or maybe our lazy tongues that didn’t know how to exactly correlate Italian but kept the same spelling. How about just calling it a layered pasta dish.?? Those words all work right? Oops strike that ‘right’ and make it ‘correctly’ instead!

13 Mr. & Mrs. P June 24, 2013 at 2:36 pm

What a lovely lasagna…. Love that it is on the light side!!!!

14 Laura (Tutti Dolci) June 24, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Your lasagna looks mouthwatering!

15 Nessa June 24, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Hahahahaha! Too funny :)

16 kirsten@FarmFreshFeasts June 24, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Dara,
You’re reminding me of the time in my early 20s I found myself on a farm in Finland attempting to explain how hungry and angry were pronounced differently, and explain other weirdness of my native tongue.

I think every parent experiences it when their child learns to read. What we’ve up until that point taken for granted becomes a source of puzzlement as we watch our kids try and sound it out.

Your dish looks delicious.

17 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious June 24, 2013 at 10:41 pm

You are too funny! But yes, I totally agree with you. My niece and nephews are starting to read and write and when I help them write stuff, they get struggle with some of the words like laughter, etc. and I can’t help but think why our english language is so difficult sometimes! Ugh.

Anyway, pass me a plate of la-SAG-na, please. I need a second dinner.

18 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com June 24, 2013 at 11:03 pm

I’ve never tasted lasagna. Shocking, right? And now I want too. So badly :D

19 Sandy @ RE June 25, 2013 at 6:42 am

Dara, I love all of your healthy recipes. I wish we could share some meals together! Miss you, friend!

20 shelly (cookies and cups) June 25, 2013 at 7:32 am

Yeah, thank goodness I learned English when my brain was a sponge, because if I tried to learn it today I’m fairly certain I would have to get by grunting and pointing.

These look fantastic!!

21 Ashley@BakerbyNature June 25, 2013 at 8:06 am

Can I just say your rant has me rolling right now?! As the daughter of an English teacher, this was hilarious. Oh, and the lasagna? I need a slice! Lasagna is one of my all-time-favorite foods ever!

22 cassie June 25, 2013 at 9:06 am

I love the sound of this lasagna, Dara! I much prefer a healthy twist and the spinach is perfect for me!

This language rant is cracking me up too. I have never understood those same things. One that always gets me is the past-tense of teach is taught but the past-tense to preach is preached. Makes NO sense!

23 Jackie June 25, 2013 at 9:58 am

My daughter is 3 and I’m trying to teach her the difference between “mine” and “yours” and I swear it’s like this long game of “who’s on first”
But I LOVE this laSAGna, looks delicious!

24 RavieNomNoms June 25, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Haha, this had me laughing so hard on my work break ;-)

This looks great!

25 sippitysup June 25, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Words people cannot pronounce that DRIVE me CRAZY:

Miscellaneous.
Tremendous.
Particularly.
Roof (Ruuf??).
Route (Root??)
Entrepreneur.
Refrigerator (Thank God for the word fridge).

Gosh. Now people will just hate me more! XOGREG

26 Barbara @ Barbara Bakes June 25, 2013 at 7:25 pm

lol it’s receive that messes me up. I spell it wrong every time.

27 Nutmeg Nanny June 27, 2013 at 8:33 am

Oh, you are too funny :) this recipe looks absolutely delicious, can’t wait to try it out!

28 Kelsey June 28, 2013 at 10:54 pm

This lasagna looks so great! Thank you for sharing it. Also, a HUGE thanks for the call out on “heighTH,” which is so NOT a word! You know what else gets me? When people say things like “2:00 a.m. in the morning” or “11:00 p.m. at night.” I know it’s in the morning–you’ve already said a.m. #grammarnerdproblems

29 ghazi July 2, 2013 at 4:40 am

what a tasty looking recipe. i love it n would like to prepare it soon. So amazing. thanks for sharing. carry on.