I’ll admit it. It wasn’t love at first bite when I first dipped into the traditional southwestern 7-layer dip. The culprit was the refried beans. It probably didn’t help that my initiation into the world of refried beans was during my first (and ONLY!) late-night/beer-soaked trip to Taco Bell in college. I was lured in by the dulcet tones of that darn talking Chihuahua.
With Super Bowl Sunday coming up, I wanted a dip that I could throw together in 15 minutes or less, and that would make me forget that ill-advised drive-thru adventure. So, why not replace the refried beans with hummus, the sour cream with nonfat Greek yogurt and make a shift to Mediterranean flavors? Take out the guacamole, salsa and Monterey jack, and layer in artichokes, roasted peppers and feta cheese in their place.
Of course, you can layer the ingredients any which way you please, or substitute in other ingredients, such as kalamata olives or sundried tomatoes. Serve the dip with raw vegetables, pita chips or lentil chips.
Don’t you dare tell your beer-swilling Super Bowl guests that this dip is healthy. They’ll never know the difference!
In an 8- by 8- square serving dish, spread the hummus evenly on the bottom. Layer the tomatoes and cucumber over top.
Dollop the yogurt over the vegetables, then gently spread with a rubber spatula. Sprinkle the yogurt with salt and paprika.
On top of the yogurt, layer the artichoke heart, roasted red peppers and feta cheese. Sprinkle the parsley over top and garnish with olives.
Serve with fresh vegetables, pita chips or crackers.
Other recipes for Super Bowl Sunday (or any other get-together):
Cookin’ Canuck’s Slow Cooker Hoisin Shredded Chicken Sandwich with Asian Slaw
Cookin’ Canuck’s Baked French Fries with Chile Peppers & Cilantro
Skinnytaste’s Salsa Verde Burgers
That Skinny Chick Can Bake’s Turkey Sliders with Roasted Tomatoes
Two Peas and Their Pod’s Loaded Sweet Potato Nachos
Calories 49.4 / Total Fat 3.6g / Saturated Fat 0.9g / Cholesterol 2.4mg / Sodium 122.4mg / Total Carbohydrates 4.0g / FIber 1.0g / Sugars 1.2g / Protein 2.4g / WW (Old Points) 1 / WW (Points+) 2 (Calculated without olives)
- 8 oz. hummus
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 2 canned artichoke hearts, chopped
- 2 roasted red peppers (4 halves), diced
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tbsp minced flat-leaf parsley
- Kalamata olives, chopped (optional), for garnish
- In an 8- by 8- square serving dish, spread the hummus evenly on the bottom. Layer the tomatoes and cucumber over top.
- Dollop the yogurt over the vegetables, then gently spread with a rubber spatula. Sprinkle the yogurt with salt and paprika.
- On top of the yogurt, layer the artichoke heart, roasted red peppers and feta cheese. Sprinkle the parsley over top and garnish with olives.
- Serve with fresh vegetables, pita chips or crackers.
From the kitchen of Cookin' Canuck. www.cookincanuck.com