There are some weeks when I am sure that my brain is going to cave inwards. This was one of those weeks. It wasn’t any one thing in particular that made me lose my sanity temporarily – rather, just a ton of little tasks that couldn’t be contained by to-do lists. A sure sign that I’m spent physically and mentally is when I proclaim that lying in a pit of earthworms seems more appealing than cooking dinner. Dramatic, I know. That attitude inevitably translates to lazy meals. Pizza one night, eggs on another.
I finally mustered the wherewithal to pull together a one-pot meal, which fits the bill when you want to minimize clean-up responsibilities. Seriously, I was pathetic this week!
Ever since I made Quinoa with Caramelized Crimini Mushrooms, Soy Sauce and Ginger years ago, I knew that my favorite grain was a perfect match for my favorite vegetable. So, why not nestle some seasoned chicken thighs into the simmering mixture, along with some fresh spinach for a complete meal?
Dinner on the table, massive clean-up averted and laziness rewarded.
My job here is done.
If you’d like some tips on cooking and freezing quinoa, head to this post.
Other one-pot dinner recipes:
Cookin’ Canuck’s One-Pot Beet, Rosemary & Kale Arborio Rice
Cookin’ Canuck’s One-Pot Chicken Sausage & Bean Ragout
Show Me the Yummy’s One Pot Mexican Chicken & Rice Soup
Life Made Sweeter’s Easy Skinny Skillet Lasagna
Chef de Home’s One Pot Curry Chicken & Rice
One-Pot Chicken, Quinoa, Mushrooms & Spinach Recipe
|Serving Size||1 thigh + ¾ c quinoa mixture ||
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 398kcal Calories from fat 111|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 12g||18%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Chicken, quinoa, mushrooms and spinach nestle together into one pot for a healthy meal with minimal clean-up.
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 3/4 tsp crushed, dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 8 oz. crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups low-fat chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups sliced spinach leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the chicken thighs in a medium bowl. Add the rosemary, smoked paprika, salt and pepper, and toss to coat the chicken.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in large nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 2 minutes on each side. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon of olive oil in the skillet. Add the onion and mushrooms, and cook until the vegetables are tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir the quinoa and broth into the vegetables. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Nestle the chicken into the quinoa, and cook (covered) until the liquid is absorbed and the chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes (total of 30 minutes).
- Transfer the chicken to a plate. Stir the spinach into the quinoa. Serve with the chicken. Season to taste.