Change things up on grilling day when you whip up these hoisin buffalo burgers, topped with a quick, spicy slaw.
Things are completely nuts here as we prepare for our move – boxes everywhere, buried under bubble wrap. We are in the mode of just trying to make it to moving day, a couple of days from now. Of course, picking up and moving after 15 years of living in the same house is more about boxes and packing paper. It’s the good-byes to friends, going to all of our favorite places one last time and trying to picture ourselves in our new hometown. Exciting, but bittersweet.
Even though most of our dishes and cooking utensils are squirreled away in boxes, we still have to make dinner. Before the barbecue gets packed away in the truck, we’re grilling up burgers, chicken kabobs and any other simple dish we can think of.
I picked up some ground bison at the grocery store, which is one of our favorite alternatives when changing up Shepherd’s Pie or Barley Soup. Mixed with some hoisin sauce and some garlic and ginger, these are some of the most flavorful burgers I’ve eaten in a long time.
Since cabbage is in abundance at the markets right now, I whipped up a quick spicy slaw with some shredded Napa cabbage, rice vinegar, olive oil and chili garlic sauce. This slaw is also great on tacos or even turkey dogs.
#EatSeasonal is the brainchild of my friend Becky of The Vintage Mixer , who has pulled together a group of bloggers to post seasonal recipes each month, using her produce guide as inspiration.
There’s a fantastic variety of recipes, some sweet and some savory, as you can see in the collage below, all inspired by produce that is fresh and seasonal in June. Be sure to click on the links to check out the recipes. For more seasonal recipe inspiration, follow the #EatSeasonal hashtag on Instagram.
Strawberry, Raspberry and Rhubarb Crisp by Completely Delicious
Sweet and Spicy Cucumber Ginger Salad by Letty’s Kitchen
Blueberry-Basil Swirled Ice Cream by Floating Kitchen
Strawberries and Cream Oat Bars by The Vintage Mixer
Cucumber Noodle Tzatziki Salad by Flavor the Moments
Rhubarb Almond Danishes by Food For My Family (not pictured)
Roasted Asparagus with Harissa Brown Butter Breadcrumbs by Simple Bites (not pictured)
- 12 oz. ground bison
- 3 tbsp + 1 tsp hoisin sauce, divided
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 4 small whole wheat hamburger buns
- 1 ½ cup thinly sliced Napa cabbage
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp chili garlic sauce
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the bison, 2 tablespoons of the hoisin sauce, salt, garlic and ginger.
- Divide the meat into four portions and form each into a ½-inch thick patty.
- Cook until the patties are cooked, with a bit of pink in the middle, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Lightly toast the hamburger buns, spread 1 teaspoon hoisin sauce on each, top each with a cooked patty and ¼ of the slaw.
- Place the cabbage in a small bowl, then toss with rice vinegar, olive oil and chili garlic sauce.