A classic game day snack takes a healthy turn in these Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps, complete with a blue cheese yogurt sauce.
Nothing says game day quite like Buffalo chicken. If you go to a tailgating party and there isn’t a spicy chicken wing in sight, it feels like you’re doing something wrong. Of course, Buffalo chicken wings aren’t exactly the healthiest choice. Typically fried and on the fatty side…but, oh so good.
So, how do you capture the flavors of Buffalo wings while also providing a healthier option?
Buffalo chicken lettuce wraps are a great answer to this game day conundrum. They’re easy, perfectly spicy and a heck of a lot healthier than the alternative. The flavor starts with the hot sauce (I used Frank’s RedHot, which can be found in many supermarkets). Most of the cayenne-based hot sauces will do the trick, but choose your favorite and adjust the seasoning according to your heat tolerance.
For these Buffalo chicken lettuce wraps, I cooked the boneless chicken tenders in a large nonstick skillet (this is the one I use everyday), but they could just as easily be baked. We ate these both hot and room temperature, and they were great either way. So, feel free to make the chicken ahead of time, tossing with the sauce right after the chicken is cooked.
If you like to keep quinoa on hand in the freezer, this recipe moves to the “lightening fast” category effortlessly. If not, quinoa takes just 15 to 20 minutes to cook. You’ll need approximately three-quarters of a cup of dry quinoa to yield a cup and a half cooked.
And Buffalo chicken just isn’t the same without some sort of blue cheese dressing and celery sticks on the side. In this version, I whipped up a quick blue cheese yogurt sauce and stirred diced celery into the quinoa.
Healthy game day achieved.
Other healthy game day entrées:
Cookin’ Canuck’s Slow Cooker Hoisin Chicken
Cookin’ Canuck’s Kale, Mushroom & Goat Cheese Quesadillas
Climbing Grier Mountain’s Turkey Chorizo Hatch Chili
Vanilla & Beans’ Italian Pressed Sandwich
The Suburban Soapbox’s Grilled Chicken Fajitas
- 10 chicken tenders (about 1 ¼ lb.)
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 tsp olive oil, divided
- ¼ cup cayenne hot sauce (I use Frank’s RedHot), or more to taste
- 1½ cup cooked quinoa
- 2 medium celery stalks, diced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 10 butter lettuce or Boston bibb lettuce leaves
- ½ cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp nonfat milk
- ¼ cup (1 oz.) crumbled blue cheese
- ⅛ tsp salt
- Season the chicken tenders with the salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat. Cook until the chicken is just cooked through, about 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer the chicken to a bowl, add the hot sauce and toss to coat.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the quinoa, 1 teaspoon olive oil, celery and green onions.
- Scoop about 3 tablespoons of the quinoa mixture into each lettuce leaf, and top with 1 chicken tender and 1 tablespoon yogurt sauce. Serve.
- In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt, milk, blue cheese and salt.
Disclosure: This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!