These delicious vegan Vegetable Curry Quinoa Bowls are a fantastic way to work a healthy dose of vegetables and protein into your day!
February has been the month of cauliflower recipes in our house. It all started a couple of weeks ago when we were heading to my son’s soccer game. If a game lands around lunchtime, we go into sideline picnic mode. Because, well, I get cranky when I’m hungry and no one needs a cranky soccer mum on the sideline when the ref makes a bad call.
Everyone else had sandwiches packed away in the cooler, which is what my usual sideline picnic modus operandi. However, the thought of another turkey sandwich just wasn’t turning my crank. So, I chopped up a bunch of vegetables (cauliflower included), cracked open cans of chickpeas and coconut milk, defrosted some quinoa (frozen quinoa is the ultimate convenience food) and these vegetable curry quinoa bowls were born!
I’m still dedicated to #VegItUp, which means that each day I find a way to add in an extra serving of vegetables, plus I’m determined to fill half of my plate with veggies at each meal. For some reason, cauliflower has caught my fancy lately and I’ve been eating it in Roasted Cauliflower Dip (fantastic for afternoon snacking!) and as the main ingredient in grated cauliflower salads.
When I first made my Slow Cooker Vegetable Curry, I realized that cauliflower and curry are meant to be together. For these vegetable curry quinoa bowls, the cauliflower simmers alongside zucchini, red bell pepper and chickpeas in a quick sauce made of coconut milk and curry paste. You can find curry paste in many grocery stores, Indian markets or even on Amazon.
Let me tell you, I was one happy soccer mum, sitting on the sidelines and eating my curry and quinoa. That may become a habit!
- 2 tsp ghee or olive oil
- 2 tbsp minced ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups small cauliflower florets
- 2 cups chopped zucchini
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded & chopped
- 2 tbsp mild curry paste
- ¾ cup lite coconut milk
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- ¼ tsp salt, or to taste
- ¼ tsp ground pepper, or to taste
- 3 tbsp minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- Heat the ghee or oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the ginger and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the cauliflower and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Add the zucchini and bell pepper, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the curry paste and stir until the vegetables are coated. Stir in the coconut milk and chickpeas. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat slightly and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, and stir in the parsley.
- Divide the quinoa between four bowls. Top each with 1 cup of the curry. Serve.
Disclosure: This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!