This creamy avocado curry recipe is both surprising and delicious. The silky sauce is tossed with rice noodles, shrimp and peppers for a quick, healthy meal. Thank you to California Avocados for helping me share this recipe with you.
Sometimes I wonder what the staff of our local grocery store thinks when they walk down the international foods aisle and find the rice noodle display intact, save for the row of brown rice pad Thai noodles, which are completely depleted about once a month. I admit it - I'm the culprit. Whether there are two boxes or eight, I am guilty of swiping them all into my grocery cart.
It was this recipe that first hooked me and if you've ever cooked with them, you know what I'm talking about. They cook in 5 minutes, can be eaten hot or cold and can be mixed with almost any protein and vegetables, or used into a speedy rice noodle soup. Perfect for quick meals!
Now that California Avocados are in season (and it's California Avocado Month, no less!), they're tossed into every rice noodle dish, salad, sandwich and egg dish that comes out of my kitchen. But instead of just chopping them up and mixing them with the noodles, I decided to try something a little different.
It all started when I cut open the MOST PERFECT avocado you'll ever see (not a single bit of airbrushing needed for that beauty above). I ate part of it straight, with a sprinkle of salt because, really, how could I resist? The rest went into the blender with some fresh lime juice, green curry paste and honey. I set aside some of the cooking water from the rice noodles and added it to the avocado mixture bit by bit until I was rewarded with a silky, flavorful sauce.
The blended sauce went straight into a skillet, along with some sautéed onions, garlic and ginger, and enveloped the shrimp and red peppers as they cooked for just a few minutes. In went the rice noodles and everything was tossed together until the creamy sauce coated every last noodle.
I honestly wasn't sure what my boys were going to think of this recipe. They're both rice noodle and curry fans, through and through, but this recipe is a little different from our usual curry recipes. They each ate two helpings of the hot noodles, then went back for a cold helping a couple of hours later. Clearly, we need to be adding California avocados to all of our curries!
Other healthy California avocado recipes:
Avocado Curry Rice Noodles with Shrimp
- 8 ounces brown rice noodles
- ¾ California avocado
- 2 tablespoons green curry paste
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons honey or agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 12 ounces raw shrimp peeled & deveined
- 1 red bell pepper seeded & thinly sliced
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil over high heat. Add the rice noodles and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking water. Drain the noodles and rinse with warm water.
- In a blender, combine the avocado, curry paste, lime juice, agave nectar, soy sauce and ½ cup of the cooking water. Puree until smooth, adding more cooking water as needed to form a smooth, pourable sauce.
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger, and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the avocado curry sauce, shrimp and red bell pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp are just cooked through and the peppers are tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the rice noodles and toss to coat with the sauce.
Disclosure: This post is part of a paid ambassadorship with California Avocados. All opinions are my own.This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!