This easy, healthy baked salmon patties recipe gets a makeover with Moroccan-inspired spices and a refreshing yogurt sauce.
Salmon patties were one of my mum’s tried and true recipes when I was growing up. They were cheap to make, came together in minutes and were basically a version of our favorite salmon salad sandwich in patty form.
For some reason, I don’t make salmon cakes very often for my family. Baked lentil cakes – yes. Baked salmon cakes – nope. I’m on a mission to bring back some old favorites, with a twist. This easy dinner is a great place to start!
So, do they really make salmon patties in Morocco? Probably not. But the flavors used in the recipe – cumin, cinnamon, lemon, mint – are inspired by Moroccan dishes. If you really want to lean more towards the Moroccan side, feel free to substitute cooked whole wheat couscous for the quinoa in the patty mixture.
The yogurt sauce is a simple mixture of plain Greek yogurt, mint, garlic, lemon and salt. Fresh and simple. Serve the salmon cakes alongside a green salad or steamed veggies for a healthy dinner or lunch.
Other healthy salmon recipes:
Cookin’ Canuck’s Maple Dijon Baked Salmon
Cookin’ Canuck’s Low Fat Salmon Salad Sandwich with Capers
Joyful Healthy Eats’ Honey Mustard Pecan Crusted Salmon
Well Plated’s Pineapple Glazed Salmon
Savory Tooth’s Spicy Salmon Sushi Bowl
Moroccan Salmon Patties Recipe
Baked Moroccan Salmon Patties…This economical and classic meal gets an extra kick of flavor from Morpccan-inspired spices! 235 calories and 3 Weight Watchers Freestyle SP
- 2 (6 oz. each) cans salmon, drained
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, grated
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup whole wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp minced flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tbsp minced fresh mint
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup plain whole milk Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp minced fresh mint
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground pepper
The salmon patties
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- With a fork, flake the salmon into a medium sized bowl. Stir in the rest of the ingredients.
- Shape ¼ cup of the salmon mixture into a patty and place on a cutting board. Repeat with the remaining salmon mixture to form a total of 8 patties.
- Place a baking sheet in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove it from the oven, lightly coat with cooking spray and transfer the salmon patties to the baking sheet.
- Bake the patties for 15 minutes, or until golden brown on the bottom. Flip over the patties and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve the patties with the yogurt sauce.
The yogurt sauce:
- In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt, mint, lemon juice, garlic, salt and a pepper.
Disclosure: This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!