These easy Baked Pumpkin Pie Egg Rolls are a fantastic (lactose-free), healthy dessert with a kick of gingersnap flavor. Thank you to Green Valley Organics and Redwood Hill Farms for helping me to share this recipe with you.
There’s one trick for turning pumpkin pie from mediocre to “I need another bite right now!”, at least in my world. Gingersnaps! I was never a fan of the traditional Thanksgiving pie until I made a version with a gingersnap crust. Crunchy, spicy, with a molasses kick.
Then again, if I’m the one that’s making the pie, I would prefer to do-away with the crust altogether (I have irrational fears of crust-making). That’s how these baked pumpkin pie egg rolls were born. And let me tell you…I am sold! Sold, I say!
The beauty of these egg rolls is that they are healthier than your average pumpkin pie and they are lactose-free because of the Green Valley Organics Lactose-Free Cream Cheese(now available at Whole Foods Markets) that I mixed with the pumpkin puree. And the ginger snaps? Well, there are plenty of dairy-free (and gluten-free) versions available on Amazon and in specialty stores.
The baked egg rolls took a little bit of trial and error. Sure, I had made Baked Apple Pie Egg Rolls before, but quickly realized that the pumpkin and cream cheese filling was too liquid-y to spoon into the egg roll wrappers “as is”. So, I poured the filling into a baking pan, cooked just until set (about 8 minutes), then scooped the cooked filling into the wrappers, along with the crushed gingersnaps.
The egg rolls turn a lovely golden brown, with just the right amount of crunch as your teeth break through the wrappers into the tender pumpkin mixture and gingersnaps that have slightly melted into a sweet, spiced molasses treat. Heaven!
If you have never tried Green Valley Organics or Redwood Hill Farms products, they can be found at your local Whole Foods Market (for now, the lactose-free cream cheese if found exclusively at Whole Foods), or other health food and specialty stores. All of the products made by Green Valley Organics are gluten-free and lactose-free, so they are a great option for people with dietary restrictions.
In addition, all of the products from Green Valley Organics and the sister farm, Redwood Hill Farms, are free of artificial colors, sweeteners, flavors and preservatives. On top of that, they use solar power to run our creamery and farm and are “Certified Humane”, meaning that the cows and goats are treated very humanely. Happy animals means great-tasting products!
Other tasty pumpkin recipes:
Cookin’ Canuck’s Pumpkin & Chicken Enchiladas
Cookin’ Canuck’s Whole Wheat Pumpkin Spice Latte Muffins
Green Evi’s Pumpkin Hummus
Dizzy, Busy & Hungry’s Pumpkin Spice Overnight Oatmeal
Sprinkle of Cinnamon’s Hokkaido Pumpkin Kale Salad
Baked Pumpkin Pie Egg Rolls Recipe
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree not pumpkin pie mix
- 1/3 cup Green Valley Organics lactose-free cream cheese
- 2 eggs divided
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons water
- 5 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon crushed dairy-free gingersnaps such as Pamela's
- 8 egg roll wrappers
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- dairy-free whipped topping if desired
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly coat an 8- by 8-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, cream cheese, 1 egg, maple syrup, ginger, nutmeg and salt until combined.
- Pour the pumpkin mixture into the prepared baking pan. Bake until the mixture is just set, 7 to 9 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly coat it with cooking spray.
- Whisk the remaining egg and water in a small bowl to make an egg wash.
- Working with one egg roll wrapper at a time, lay the wrapper on a cutting board and brush the egg wash around each edge.
- Scoop 2 tablespoons of the cooked pumpkin mixture onto one edge of the wrapper, leaving a small border. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of the crushed gingersnaps over the pumpkin filling.
- Fold in the sides and roll up the egg roll tightly. Place it on the prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining wrappers, pumpkin filling and gingersnaps.
- Bake until the egg rolls are light golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and brush each egg roll with the egg wash, then sprinkle with cinnamon. Return to the oven and bake for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with dairy-free whipped topping, if desired.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored Green Valley Organics and Redwood Hill Farms. All opinions are my own. This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!