Gone are the days of flavorless fish dinners! This healthy Balsamic Baked Cod recipe, topped with peppers and onions, comes together with almost no effort.
When I think of cod, the first thing that comes to mind is fish and chips. I’ve had my share of great fish and chips in my lifetime, with batter light and crispy encapsulating a tender piece of fish. With a sprinkle of malt vinegar, of course. It’s just not the same without it. Truthfully, it took me a long time to appreciate any dense white fish – cod, halibut – unless it was battered and fried. As a kid, when my mum announced that she was preparing halibut, I inwardly gritted my teeth.
Times have changed along with my palate and now I practically salivate at the thought of a fresh piece of cod or halibut. This balsamic baked cod recipe with peppers comes together in less than 25 minutes. Hallelujah for quick meals!
Full disclosure: I stole the the idea for this baked cod recipe straight from my Easy Braised Balsamic & Herb Chicken recipe. If you regularly stock your pantry and fridge with canned diced tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, peppers and onions, this is something you can pull off at the last minute. Which is how things usually go down around here.
Two tips for keeping the cod tender. First is an obvious one – don’t overcook it! The second trick is to pile the sautéed veggies on top of the fish while it cooks to help hold in the moisture.
Serve it up over brown rice, quinoa or farro. Lean protein, whole grains, veggies. Boom!
Balsamic Baked Cod Recipe with Peppers
Balsamic Baked Cod Recipe with Peppers…Gone are the days of flavorless fish dinners! This healthy recipe comes together with almost no effort. 206 calories and 1 Weight Watchers Freestyle SP
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, halved & thinly sliced
- 1 yellow or red pepper, seeded & thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 (14 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper, or to taste
- 4 (5 oz. each) cod fillets
- 3 tbsp minced flat-leaf parsley
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper, and cook until the vegetables are just tender, 7 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic and Italian seasoning, and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the diced tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then nestle the cod fillets into the tomato mixture. Pile some of the vegetables on top of the fish.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the fish is just cooked through, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle the parsley over top. Serve.
Disclosure: This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!