This easy braised chicken recipe is one of our favorite weekday meals. Quick, easy, healthy and delicious – an awesome combination! 216 calories and 7 Weight Watchers Freestyle SP
Even though the weather is getting warmer and we’re turning towards healthy grilled recipes like the Grilled Vegetable Wrap with Hummus that I made last week, I can’t help but throw some comfort food into the mix every few days. I think it’s my Canadian blood that makes me do it. From the inside out, I am clearly in denial that 100 degree F Utah days are just around the corner. I melt as soon as the thermostat hits 80.
And so I braise. It helps to ward off the high temperatures.
The word “braise” may sound daunting, but it’s really just a fancy way of saying “brown the meat, then simmer it in some liquid”. Not so daunting now, right?
Boneless, skinless chicken thighs lend themselves well to this method of cooking. They hold their moisture well, managing to avoid the sometimes “dried out” tendencies of skinless chicken breasts.
All you need for this braised chicken recipe are some basic dried herbs – oregano, rosemary and thyme – a can of diced tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, and some vegetables. Stock your pantry with some of the basics and you’ll be able to pull off this meal on any weeknight.
Many balsamic chicken recipes use just diced tomatoes and balsamic vinegar to make the sauce, but I decided to temper the acidity with a half-and-half mixture of chicken broth and balsamic vinegar. It was just right for my family.
Other healthy chicken recipes:
Cookin’ Canuck’s Crispy Baked Parmesan-Crusted Chicken Tenders
Cookin’ Canuck’s Thai Chicken Naan Pizza with Peanut Sauce, Red Peppers & Carrots
Fannetastic Food’s Healthy Gluten Free Chicken Enchiladas with Yogurt
Eat Yourself Skinny’s Bruschetta Chicken
Easy Braised Balsamic & Herb Chicken Recipe
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil divided
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 14 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup fat-free chicken broth
- salt and pepper if desired
- In a small bowl, stir together the oregano, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper. Rub the mixture over the chicken thighs.
- Heat 1 teaspoon canola oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining ½ teaspoon canola oil. Add the onion and red bell pepper, and cook until the vegetables are just tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the diced tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then nestle the chicken thighs into the tomato mixture. Simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Serve over rice or quinoa.
Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.