If you can’t be at Mardi Gras in person, you might as well douse your salad in bourbon. Now, I know this isn’t traditional Mardi Gras-esque food. It’s not gumbo, jambalaya or etouffée, and there’s not even a collard green in sight. But hey, it has bourbon. That should count for something, right? So, pull on those colored beads, whip yourself up a Hurricane, or some other potent cocktail, and get ready to celebrate.
To make things even better, the dressing is warmed, which will soften the spinach slightly and add a layer of “fancy” to this simple salad. Creamy avocado, salty bacon and slightly smoky roasted peppers add layers of flavor and texture that will make you say, “That’s the best salad I’ve eaten in awhile.” Well, that’s what I said, anyways.
The fat content is a little higher some of my other salad recipes, but only a very small portion is saturated fat. Besides the bacon, this salad provides heart-healthy fat from the avocado and olive oil.
In a small saucepan, whisk together the apple cider vinegar, bourbon, molasses, agave nectar (or honey), salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in the olive oil.
Set the saucepan over medium-low heat, whisking occasionally, until warm.
In a large serving bowl, combine the spinach leaves, crumbled bacon, roasted peppers and avocado. Pour in the dressing and toss gently. Serve immediately.
Other dark leafy salads:
Cookin’ Canuck’s Chopped Kale Salad with Pomegranate & Avocado
Cookin’ Canuck’s Strawberry & Goat Cheese Green Salad with Basil Vinaigrette
Bourbon Spinach Salad Recipe with Bacon & Avocado
|Serving Size||About 1¾ cups salad with approximately 1½ tb|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 261kcal Calories from fat 204|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 23g||35%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||25%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||20%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
From the kitchen of Cookin Canuck. www.cookincanuck.com
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp bourbon
- 1 tsp molasses
- 1/2 tsp agave nectar or honey
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground pepper
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cups (packed) fresh spinach leaves, stems removed
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 roasted red pepper (2 halves), cut into thin strips
- 1 avocado, chopped
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the apple cider vinegar, bourbon, molasses, agave nectar (or honey), salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in the olive oil.
- Set the saucepan over medium-low heat, whisking occasionally, until warm.
- In a large serving bowl, combine the spinach leaves, crumbled bacon, roasted peppers and avocado. Pour in the dressing and toss gently. Serve immediately.