Whip up this tasty breakfast egg wrap for a great refueling snack after exercising or a make-and-go breakfast on a busy morning.
Running has been on my mind a lot lately. After a somewhat uneven summer when motivation was at an all-time low (seriously, I don’t think I could have been any lazier), I’m finally back on a four day per week running schedule. But now I need a kick in the butt to take things to the next level. I need a carrot in front of my nose. A goal. For me, that means signing up for a race. There’s nothing like the fear of bonking on mile 10 of a half-marathon to get you out of bed for a training run!
Whenever I increase my mileage, one certain thing happens. I get really hungry, particularly after long runs. It’s that dangerous balance of eating enough to refuel without clearing out the fridge. In theory, I know I need a combination of healthy protein and carbs to help muscles rebuild. In practice, 10 pieces of bacon sounds pretty awesome.
This breakfast wrap is a good compromise – a taste of bacon to satisfy the craving, a dose of my favorite veggie (mushrooms!) and a serving of protein and carbs in the form of eggs and a whole wheat tortilla (I used these low carb ones). All with a calorie count that doesn’t undo everything that I burned on the run.
This wrap is completely customizable. Prefer a vegetarian wrap? Swap black beans (or nothing at all) for the bacon. Mushrooms not your thing (gasp)? Use some red pepper instead. Mix things up to your heart’s content.
Other great post-exercise breakfast recipes:
Cookin’ Canuck’s Whole Wheat Banana Flax Pancakes
Cookin’ Canuck’s Baked Steel Cut Oatmeal with Tart Cherries & Pepitas
Kitchen Konfidence’s Spiced Apple & Oatmeal Smoothie Bowl
Home Cooking Adventure’s Shakshuka – Eggs in Tomato Sauce
Amazing Paleo’s Sweet Cashew Paleo Waffles
Breakfast Egg Wrap with Bacon, Mushrooms & Tomato Recipe
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs and water.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms for 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Wipe out the skillet and set over medium heat again. Pour in the egg mixture and cook until the eggs are scrambled, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir the mushrooms, tomatoes and bacon in the eggs.
- Place tortillas on 2 plates and spoon half of the egg mixture down the center of each tortilla, leaving room at one end. Sprinkle the basil over the egg.
- Fold in the end, then roll up the tortillas. Serve.
Disclosure: This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!