Maybe it’s because we just returned from a weekend in Las Vegas, the city of excess, but I have been craving nothing but vegetables for the past few days. We went to Vegas fro my older son’s soccer tournament and were inevitably drawn to the strip on the last day.
My 10-year old wanted to visit the M&M factory and it’s hard to resist walking through a couple of casinos on the way. Even at 10am on a Sunday morning, there is some darn good people-watching. What is it about the Vegas strip that encourages regular people to show as much skin as possible?!
We didn’t hit any of the Vegas buffets, but I still ate more than I typically would. Snacking on the sidelines of the fields, diving into sliders at the local brewpub, munching on less-than-healthy snacks on the 6-hour drive. When I got home, I could think of nothing but veggies.
On Monday morning, I hit the grocery store and loaded up on zucchini, squash, pepper, mushrooms, cauliflower…if it grew in the ground, I bought it!
I chopped up some zucchini, summer squash, mushrooms, onions and tomatoes for a quick vegetarian lunch. This recipe is very forgiving, so feel free to use whatever vegetables you have in your fridge. Cauliflower, bell peppers, eggplant and corn would work well. If you want an extra punch of protein, add black beans, edamame or tofu.
The flavors are so simple, but so satisfying. With just a sprinkle of cotija cheese and cilantro, the natural flavors of the vegetables fill your mouth and satisfy your belly. Vegetable craving averted…until tomorrow.
Other vegetarian recipes:
Cookin’ Canuck’s Hearty Mushroom, Farro & Ginger Soup
Cookin’ Canuck’s Vegetarian Enchilada Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
Foodiecrush’s Slow Cooker Vegetarian Lasagna Soup
Cookie + Kate’s Sugar Snap Pea & Carrot Soba Noodles
Kitchen Treaty’s Vegetarian Pho from Scratch
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see it on Instagram! Just use the hashtag #COOKINCANUCK and I’ll be sure to find it.
Easy Vegetable Soft Tacos Recipe
|Serving Size||2 tacos ||
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 369kcal Calories from fat 148|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 16g||25%|
|Saturated Fat 7g||35%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||24%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
- 1 1/2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow squash
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeds & membranes removed, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- 2 tbsp minced cilantro
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining ½ teaspoon olive oil, mushrooms, zucchini, yellow squash, jalapeno, cumin and oregano. Cook until the vegetables are tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato and cook for 1 minute. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the lime juice.
- While the vegetables are cooking, heat the corn tortillas, in a single layer on a paper towel in the microwave, about 30 seconds.
- Divide the vegetables evenly between the corn tortillas, and top with cotija cheese and cilantro. Serve.
Note: If the corn tortillas are falling apart, use 2 tortillas per taco.