In the past, lemon chicken has never really turned my crank. Perhaps it is because each time I tried it, the chicken was dry and the tart lemon juice just seemed to add insult to injury, causing me to pucker my lips like an old man who lost his dentures. However, with six cups of fresh Meyer lemon juice to play with, it seemed prudent to set to work on shattering my preconceptions of lemon chicken. After all, there are only so many Lemon Sugar Puff Pastry Twists and margaritas that one gal can consume – without gaining fifty pounds and engaging in inappropriate table dances, that is.
When considering ways to get around the dryness issue, chicken thighs came to mind as a likely solution. Of course, you can still use boneless, skinless breasts in this recipe if you are someone that is adept at judging when chicken breasts are cooked through, but not leeched of moisture. If this is not your forte, then I suggest boneless, skinless chicken thighs which are a considerably more forgiving part of the bird.
The lemon vinaigrette in this recipe is infused with fresh rosemary and garlic, and mixed with a touch of honey. While this chicken is best served hot, it can also be enjoyed at room temperature, which makes it the ideal meal for a busy weeknight. When the chicken comes off the grill, toss it in the vinaigrette and allow the meat to absorb some of the fresh flavors. If you plan to eat it later, cover and refrigerate the chicken. Bring the chicken and vinaigrette to room temperature and stir before serving over rice, quinoa or orzo.
In a large bowl, whisk together fresh lemon juice, rosemary, honey, garlic, salt and pepper.
While whisking, slowly pour in olive oil until combined.
Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
Toss chicken thighs in canola oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill until chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.
Transfer chicken to bowl with lemon vinaigrette and toss until chicken is coated.
Serve, drizzling extra vinaigrette over chicken, to taste.
Other grilled chicken recipes:
Cookin’ Canuck’s Chicken Kebabs with Pomegranate-Spice Marinade
Cookin’ Canuck’s Grilled Chicken Thighs with Tamarind & Orange Glaze
Simply Recipes’ Red Chile Marinated Grilled Chicken
Kalyn’s Kitchen’s Grilled Chicken with Sage, Rosemary & Garlic Dried Herb Rub
Prudence Pennywise’s Cilantro Honey-Lime Grilled Chicken
Grilled Lemon & Rosemary Chicken Recipe
From the kitchen of Cookin Canuck. www.cookincanuck.com
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp minced fresh rosemary
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- Pinch kosher salt
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- The vinaigrette:
- In a large bowl, whisk together fresh lemon juice, rosemary, honey, garlic, salt and pepper. While whisking, slowly pour in olive oil until combined.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Toss chicken thighs in canola oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill until chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.
- Transfer chicken to bowl with lemon vinaigrette and toss until chicken is coated. Serve, drizzling extra vinaigrette over chicken, to taste.