This easy grilled salmon recipe in foil, with basil pesto and sautéed peppers and shallots, requires virtually no clean-up. It’s perfect for busy weeknights and entertaining!
By no choice of my husband’s, the grill has become my domain. His mistake was helping me to get over my irrational fear of turning on the gas grill (see How to: Turn on a Gas Grill if you know that fear well). I now wield the tongs like Annie Oakley wielded her six-shooter. I am one with the fire.
As soon as the nice weather hits, I turn to barbecuing for about 75% of our meals. One of our favorites, thanks to my mum’s ingenuity, is Easy Grilled Salmon in Foil with Ginger & Soy Sauce. Since that recipe is always such a success, I used the same principles, but changed up the flavors with a dollop of basil pesto and some sauteed red bell peppers and shallots.
While the peppers and shallots are cooking, smear the piece of salmon with some homemade or store-bought basil pesto. Make sure that you like the taste of the pesto you’re using because, besides the salmon itself, this is the essence of the recipe.
Cover the salmon with the sautéed peppers and shallots, and wrap it all in one pretty foil package. Ten to fifteen minutes later, you will be rewarded with a tender, flavorful meal. Easy, right?
The biggest challenge in any salmon recipe (okay, any fish recipe at all) is taking care not to overcook the salmon.
If have a little trick for you.
Stick a small sharp knife into the thickest part of the salmon and hold it there for 10 seconds. Remove the knife and cautiously touch it to your upper lip (it’s very sensitive to temperature). If the knife is hot, the fish is done.
Seriously, it works every time.
Other easy recipes for the grill:
Cookin’ Canuck’s Grilled Potatoes with Rosemary & Smoked Paprika
Cookin’ Canuck’s How to: Grill Corn
The Iron You’s Chicken Shawarma with Lime Avocado Mayo
Simple Healthy Kitchen’s Grilled Nectarine & Chevre Salad with Honey Fig Vinaigrette
Dessert for Two’s Smoky Portobello Tacos
Easy Grilled Pesto Salmon in Foil Recipe
Calories 254.1 / Total Fat 12.7g / Saturated Fat 2.3g / Cholesterol 65.2mg / Sodium 186.2mg / Total Carbohydrates 2.7g / Fiber 0.5g / Sugars 0.8g / Protein 32.0g / WW (Old Points) 6 / WW (Points+) 6
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 salmon (about 1 1/2 lbs.), with or without skin (remove before eating)
- 3 tbsp basil pesto (purchased or homemade)
- Preheat the grill to medium heat.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet set over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.
- Add the red bell pepper, salt and pepper, and cook until the bell pepper is just tender, about 3 minutes.
- Lay the salmon on a double sheet of foil that is lightly coated with cooking spray.
- Spread the pesto over the salmon and arrange the shallot and red bell peppers over the pesto.
- Seal the foil by folding it as though you wrapping a present. Slide the foil packet onto the grill and close the lid. Cook until the salmon is just cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes, depending on the thickness of the salmon. Take care not to overcook the salmon.
- Unwrap the salmon from the foil,4cut into pieces and serve hot or at room temperature.
Disclosure: This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!