These fantastic vegetarian Grilled Zucchini Potato Rolls with Goat Cheese are great as an appetizer or even a light lunch. Thank you to The Little Potato Company for helping me share this recipe with you.
I was alone in the kitchen when I first took a bit of these Grilled Zucchini Potato Rolls, but felt compelled to say “Oh wow! That is so good.” whether or not anyone was listening. It’s moment like those that remind me why I love cooking…well, to be completely frank, why I love FOOD so much.
Food that requires a moment of silence because you don’t want anything to distract from the tastes and textures rolling over your tongue. Food that requires you to sit down, eyes closed, to fully embrace the experience. And more often than not, it’s little bites made up of the simplest ingredients that inspire those moments of gustatorial bliss.
The flavors in these zucchini potato rolls are headlined by paprika, rosemary and basil, working in concert to season both the roasted potatoes as well as the grilled zucchini.
I’m a sucker for the Terrific Trio Creamer potatoes by The Little Potato Company because the colors are so pretty, but any of their Creamer varietals would work. These Creamer potatoes are not just “new potatoes” by another name. They are actually grown to be this little, rather than other potatoes that are simply harvested early to achieve that small size. As a result, the fully mature Creamer potatoes have the most wonderful natural sweetness – one of the many reasons my kids can’t resist popping them into their mouths whenever there’s a pan of roasted Creamers.
While the potatoes are roasting, prep the zucchini by cutting them into lengthwise strips and seasoning with paprika and salt. Be sure that your goat cheese is sitting on the counter so that it’s a room temperature spreadable consistency by the time you’re ready to smear it onto the grilled zucchini.
Last step – assemble the rolls by spreading the tangy goat cheese onto the grilled zucchini strips, top with some fresh basil and roll the zucchini around the roasted potatoes. Easy! I typically serve two of these on each appetizer plate (knife and fork it), but they’d also work as a side dish or even a light lunch.
Grilled Zucchini Potato Rolls with Goat Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the potatoes on a baking sheet, and toss with the olive oil, paprika, rosemary and salt.
- Bake until tender when pierced with a fork, about 30 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Alternatively, set a grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Slice a strip lengthwise from zucchini to expose the inside of the vegetable. Discard or save for another use. Cut the 2 ends from the zucchini, and discard. Cut the zucchini lengthwise into ½-inch strips.
- Lightly brush both sides of the zucchini pieces with olive oil, and sprinkle with paprika and salt.
- Grill the zucchini until tender enough to roll, but not mushy, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Spread 1 teaspoon of goat cheese on each zucchini slice. Place a potato at one end of each slice and top with the basil. Roll the potato up in the zucchini. Serve immediately.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by The Little Potato Company. All opinions are my own. This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!