These Lightened-Up Buffalo Chicken Phyllo Turnovers are made for game day! Thank you to Athens Foods for helping me to share this recipe with you.
Super Bowl Sunday feels like a battle of Roman Colosseum proportions, and I’m not just talking about the game. The gladiators are on one side, there just for the game, the analysis and the ups and downs of offense and defense.
The lions don’t really care for the battle on the field. They’re just there for the food (and maybe the ads). And I say…why can’t we all just get along?
Some great food, a heart-wrenching Budweiser commercial or two (seriously, those Clydesdales with their nose-rubbing ways) and a pad-crunching play that ends with a finessed juke (or “deke” for my Canadian friends) by the running back. What can I say? I love it all!
As much as I enjoy the football, I’m always hard-pressed the next year to tell you who won the last Super Bowl. But I can always (!) tell you what I ate that day.
These lightened-up buffalo chicken phyllo turnovers may be easy to pull together (though they take a few minutes to fold into triangles), but they are not easily forgotten!
I started with sheets of Athens Fillo Dough, which can be found in the frozen food section of most supermarkets. The dough is really easy to work with. Just be sure to cover it with a damp towel so it doesn’t dry out. It’s great for easy appetizers, like traditional spanakopita or my 3-Ingredient Brie & Cranberry Phyllo Turnovers.
To lighten up the buffalo chicken mixture, I used light cream cheese and replaced the usual sour cream with Greek yogurt. I added 2 tablespoons of hot sauce as a starting point, but be sure to taste the mixture and add more hot sauce if you like things spicier.
Whether you’re a gladiator or a lion, enjoy the day!
For additional Super Bowl recipes using Athens Mini Fillo Shells, check out Game Day Bites. For more details on the Fillo Dough and other Athens Foods products, be sure to follow them on Facebook, on Pinterest and Twitter.
Other healthy Super Bowl appetizer recipes:
Lightened-Up Buffalo Chicken Phyllo Turnovers
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, using a fork, mix together the cream cheese and Greek yogurt until smooth.
- Stir in the diced chicken breast, hot sauce, bleu cheese, parsley and salt. Taste and add more hot sauce, if desired.
- Lay 1 sheet of the fillo dough on a large cutting board and lightly coat with cooking spray. Top with another sheet fillo dough, coat with cooking spray and repeat with one more layer of fillo dough and cooking spray.
- While working with the individual sheets of fillo dough, cover the rest with a damp towel so it doesn’t dry out.
- Cut the dough lengthwise in thirds. Place a scant 2 teaspoons of the buffalo chicken mixture about 1 inch from the bottom of section of dough. Fold the dough over top of the chicken mixture to form a triangle. Continue to fold, maintaining the triangle shape until the end of the dough is reached. Repeat with the other two strips of dough. Place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and chicken mixture.
- Bake until the turnovers are golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve.
Disclosure: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.