Things are about to get amorous! Pour a glass of red wine and serve up these easy mushroom and Gorgonzola cheese phyllo bite appetizers to kick off the evening. 74 calories and 2 Weight Watchers Freestyle SP
If it were up to me, candy and cinnamon hearts would be banished from the Valentine’s aisle and replaced with mushrooms and cheese. Okay, the chocolate can stay. But there must be copious amounts of Brie cheese and shiitake mushrooms. And potato chips. All of my weaknesses in one place, for one day only.
Now that’s what I call love!
This appetizer combines two of my loves (I couldn’t figure out a way to logically work in the potato chips)...mushrooms and creamy cheese. The ingredients list is simple, which allows each component to shine.
You could use any combination of your favorite mushrooms. For me, that meant a half and half combination of crimini and shiitake mushrooms. If I’m not working with Asian flavors – there’s nothing like shiitakes with soy sauce – then I turn to Gorgonzola cheese. The flavor of this creamy cheese brings out the best in the mushrooms.
This mixture could be served as crostini, balanced on top of slices of baguette. But I love the ease of mini phyllo cups and I happened to have a package in my freezer, left over from my previous phyllo cup recipes.
Pair these with a glass of red wine for a perfect kick-off to your Valentine’s evening.
The phyllo bites recipe:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat the olive in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are soft, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the Gorgonzola cheese and stir until melted. Stir in the pepper, salt and parsley.
Place the phyllo cups on a baking sheet. Bake for 2 minutes.
Scoop about 1 ½ teaspoons of the mushroom mixture into each phyllo cup. Bake for 2 minutes, or until the phyllo cups are crispy.
Garnish with extra parsley and serve.
Other Valentine's Day recipes:
Cookin' Canuck's Seared Ahi Tuna with Soy Ginger Sauce
Cookin' Canuck's Almond Meringue with Raspberry Sorbet
Eat the Love's Chocolate Waffles with Vanilla Swirl
Sugar-Free Mom's Sugar-Free Mint Chocolate Cheesecake Mousse
Running to the Kitchen's Grilled Chicken with Strawberry Basil Sauce
Mini Mushroom & Gorgonzola Bites Recipe
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 ounces crimini mushrooms stems removed, diced
- 4 oz. shiitake mushrooms stems removed, diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ¾ ounces 3 tablespoons crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon minced flat-leaf parsley plus more for garnish
- 12 mini phyllo cups
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the olive in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the Gorgonzola cheese and stir until melted. Stir in the pepper, salt and parsley.
- Place the phyllo cups on a baking sheet. Bake for 2 minutes.
- Scoop about 1½ teaspoons of the mushroom mixture into each phyllo cup. Bake for 2 minutes, or until the phyllo cups are crispy.
- Garnish with extra parsley and serve.
Disclosure: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.