Keep these No-Bake Cherry Almond Granola Bites on hand for easy, healthy snacking. The kids will never know that they are low sugar! 124 calories and 4 Weight Watchers Freestyle SP
There are certain ground rules put in place once school is over, otherwise summer break has the potential to turn into a video game-playing, sugar-eating spiral that will cause Mum (i.e., me) to lose her mind. I love having my kids home, but holy heck...they know how to push my buttons, inevitably when I'm in a caffeine low.
Ground rule #1: Read a book...or seven. This is a rule I need to abide by, too. Anyone have some good recommendations?
Ground rule #2: Spend at least 30 minutes of every hour in a different room than your brother. Siblings in constant contact leads to rough-housing, which inevitably leads to injury and dramatic stories of wrongdoing. It's only fun until someone loses an eye...or calls their brother a doofus.
Ground rule #3: Do not beg Mum for money every single time you hear the ice cream truck (which is typically every afternoon). Kids hopped up on sugary frozen treats can lead to no good. Plus, if you have an ice cream sandwich, Mum is going to want an ice cream sandwich. Then Mum's bathing suit doesn't fit quite right and she gets grumpy.
Which leads me to ground rule #4: All children who are in my house during the summer break must be willing to eat healthy snacks (please see ground rule #3 and the part about the bathing suit).
That's where these low sugar granola bites come in. Of course, the kids don't need to know that they are low sugar. That just spoils all the fun.
This isn't the first time I've made granola bites. In fact, one of my kids' favorite snacks is my No-Bake Carrot Cake Granola Bites. And their friends couldn't stop eating them either.
This version uses sliced almonds and dried cherries, along with almond butter, which is the "glue" that holds the bites altogether. If you follow a gluten-free diet, be sure to use gluten-free oats.
Healthy snacks + bathing suit that fits + happy kids = healthy, sane Mum.
Other healthy snack recipes:
No-Bake Cherry Almond Granola Bites Recipe
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, almonds, chia seeds and flax seeds.
- Stir in the almond butter, dried cherries, agave nectar, ground ginger and cinnamon until well combined.
- Using 1½ tablespoons (packed) of the mixture for each bite, roll the mixture into bite-sized balls. Using a medium-sized cookie scoop makes this process easier. Also, spray your hands with cooking spray to stop the mixture from sticking.
- Place the granola bites on a baking sheet, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Serve.
- Store the remaining granola bites in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Disclosure: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.