I’m going to pretend that anytime I make Meatless Monday recipes it is done with purely charitable intentions. Don’t get me wrong, I wholeheartedly support the idea behind Meatless Monday…cutting out the meat once per week to improve both our health and the health of the planet. However, if I start to pull out the quinoa and chickpeas for dinner, it likely means that I forgot to defrost some chicken or replenish our tilapia supply. Honorable, huh?
With an abundance of crisp, ripe apples at the markets and leftover Gorgonzola cheese in the fridge (from my Gorgonzola Cheese Cups with Pear & Hazelnut Salad), this salad came together with little effort.
The sweet and salty flavors are punctuated by a light vinaigrette made of apple cider, a little olive oil, apple cider vinegar & a pinch of salt. Toss everything together in a bowl, along with some toasted slivered almonds and chopped green onions. Dinner is served. A meatless one, at that.
In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the quinoa well and drain.
In a medium pot, combine the quinoa and water. Bring to a boil, then cover and turn heat to low. Cook until all the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat, fluff the quinoa and transfer to a cookie sheet, spreading the quinoa in a thin layer, to cool.
In a large bowl, mix together the cooled quinoa, almonds, chickpeas, apple, Gorgonzola cheese and green onions.
Whisk together white apple cider, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, agave nectar and salt.
Pour the dressing over the quinoa salad and toss to coat. Serve over a bed of spinach or arugula, if desired.
Other quinoa recipes:
Cookin’ Canuck’s Salad Cups with Quinoa, Shrimp, Avocado & Lemon Dressing
Cookin’ Canuck’s Vegetarian Stew with Quinoa, Butternut Squash & Coconut Milk
Bev Cooks’ Kidney Bean & Quinoa Soft Tacos
Ambitious Kitchen’s Kale, Edamame & Quinoa Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
Quinoa Salad with Apple, Chickpeas, Toasted Almonds & Apple Cider Vinaigrette
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 491kcal Calories from fat 175|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 19g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber 11g||44%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
From the kitchen of Cookin Canuck. www.cookincanuck.com
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 can (14 oz.) chickpeas (Garbanzo beans) - (I prefer Bush's Beans)
- 1 large Gala apple, cored and chopped
- 3 tbsp Gorgzonzola cheese
- 2 green onion, thinly sliced (green & white parts)
- 1/3 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp agave nectar or honey
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse quinoa well and drain.
- In a medium pot, combine quinoa and water. Bring to a boil, then cover and turn heat to low. Cook until all the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat, fluff the quinoa and transfer to a cookie sheet, spreading the quinoa in a thin layer, to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together cooled quinoa, almonds, chickpeas, apple, Gorgonzola cheese and green onions.
- Whisk together white apple cider, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, agave nectar and salt.
- Pour the dressing over the quinoa salad and toss to coat. Serve.