This inexpensive, delicious and healthy tilapia recipe is made better with a sprinkle of za'atar and a dose of quick pickled cucumbers.
Cheap, simple and healthy - three of the reasons that I often turn to tilapia for weeknight meals. But just because it isn't one of the "fancy" fishes, tilapia still deserves to be dressed up with spices and herbs. Its mild flavor and medium-firm flaky texture makes it perfect for broiling, baking or poaching - and it's fantastic in a Fisherman's Soup.
I turned to za'atar, a Middle Eastern herb mixture, along with a quick rub of olive oil, to add a burst of flavor to the tilapia. Za'atar is typically a combination of sumac, sesame seeds and herbs, such as thyme, marjoram and oregano. It can be found in most Middle Eastern markets, in spice shops and even on Amazon.
As fantastic as za'atar is for imparting flavor, the real star of the show here is the pile of quick pickled cucumbers on top. A little vinegar, salt, honey and parsley - and about 10 minutes - is all it takes. Prepare the pickled cucumbers first, then work on cooking the fish. By the time the fish is done, the cucumbers will be perfectly pickled!
Serve this alongside a vegetable quinoa salad for a healthy, satisfying meal.
Other tilapia recipes:
Cookin' Canuck's Fisherman's Soup with Tilapia, Shrimp, Tomatoes & Capers
Cookin' Canuck's Baked Tilapia with Arugula Walnut Pesto
Call Me PMC's Asian Tilapia Lettuce Wraps
Lisa's Dinnertime Dish's Grilled Fish Taco Bowls
The Garlic Diaries' Blackened Tilapia with Cucumber Avocado Salsa
Roasted Za'atar Tilapia Recipe with Pickled Cucumbers
The Pickled Cucumbers:
The Pickled Cucumbers:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the rice vinegar, honey and salt. Add the cucumbers and toss to coat with the vinegar sauce. Let sit while the fish cooks.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly coat a baking dish with cooking spray.
- Rub each tilapia fillet with 1 ½ teaspoon olive oil, then sprinkle 1 teaspoon of za’atar on each fillet, coating both sides). Season with salt.
- Place the tilapia in the prepared baking dish. Cook until the tilapia is just cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serve with the pickled cucumbers.
Disclosure: This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!