If there’s one thing that I remember from my first experiences eating in nice restaurants as a kid, it would be shrimp. Shrimp cocktail, to be exact. Growing up in Vancouver, Canada gave my family easy access to vacations on the Oregon coast. Year after year, my parents and I drove down through Washington state and on to Oregon’s pounding surf and endless sand of Cannon Beach. As much as I loved running from the crashing waves and collecting seashells, it was really all about the seafood. Even as a kid, food was always near the top of the agenda. Not much has changed.
Our favorite place to stay was the Inn at Spanish Head near Lincoln City, partly for their prime cliffside location and easy access to the beach, and partly because each unit included a full kitchen where we could steam Dungeness crabs and sear scallops that we picked up from the docks first thing in the morning.
Yep, all about the food!
Thankfully I married a man who likes his shrimp and crab as much as I do. We have unabashedly brainwashed our two boys to think that there’s nothing better than savoring a succulent shrimp or sucking the meat out from a crab claw. They are willing participants in the whole brainwashing process. Wise children.
Fresh strawberries are starting to appear at our markets and add a wonderful pop of sweetness to offset the lemon parsley dressing. As for the jicama and avocado – well, they’re the perfect foil for each other, one crunchy and one creamy.
We ate every last morsel of this dinner salad and it left my kids begging for more shrimp. Mission accomplished.
Other healthy shrimp recipes:
Cookin’ Canuck’s Roasted Shrimp with Rosemary, Garlic & Lemon
Cookin’ Canuck’s Lemon & Dill Shrimp Quesadilla
Rasa Malaysia’s Roasted Shrimp Scampi
The Perfect Pantry’s Roasted Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Peach Salsa
Just a Taste’s Asian Zucchini Noodle Stir-Fry with Shrimp
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see it on Instagram! Just use the hashtag #COOKINCANUCK and I’ll be sure to find it.
Seared Shrimp Salad with Jicama, Strawberries & Avocado
|Serving Size||1 salad ||
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 321kcal Calories from fat 180|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 20g||31%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 9g||36%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
This healthy dinner salad will leave your family begging for more. Succulent shrimp, crunchy jicama, sweet strawberries and creamy avocado. What's not to love?!
- 3/4 lb. large raw shrimp, peeled
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 1 small jicama, peeled & cut into strips (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp agave nectar or honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 3 tbsp minced flat-leaf parsley
- Place the shrimp in a medium-sized bowl and season with the salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat.
- Add the shrimp and cook until they are just cooked through, about 1 minute per side. Remember that they will continue to cook a bit after being removed from the pan.
- In a large bowl, toss together the shrimp, mixed greens, jicama, strawberries and avocado. Toss with the dressing to coat.
- Divide between 4 dinner plates. Serve.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, agave nectar, salt and pepper. Stir in the parsley.
Disclosure: This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!