This slow cooker vegetable curry recipe stars sweet potato and chickpeas, and is a fantastic choice for a Meatless Monday meal. 181 calories and 2 Weight Watchers Freestyle SP
“Are you making Grandma’s crockpot applesauce, Mum? Please tell me that you are!”
This is what I typically hear when I pull out the slow cooker. And who can blame them?! The applesauce isn’t a family favorite by chance.
But when I got my new slow cooker (4 heat settings, timer…the whole she-bang), I decided to put my crockpot-cooking self in gear.
Often I stick with some of our go-to favorites, such as Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup and Crockpot Chickpea Stew with Balsamic Caramelized Onions.
But we’re done with the whole “safety zone” thing. It’s time to put some miles on the new slow cooker and dive into unexplored territory…go where no slow cooker in our house has gone before.
My husband and kids adore my mum’s chicken curry. It’s always a full-on feast, complete with naan, mango chutney and cucumber raita.
This time, I used some of the same flavors, but simplified the process by tossing everything into the slow cooker after sauteeing some onions, ginger and garlic with mild curry paste (found in the Asian aisle of many supermarkets). This version stars sweet potatoes, cauliflower and chickpeas, rather than chicken and regular potatoes, making it the perfect candidate for any Meatless Monday meal. It’s also happens to be vegan and gluten-free.
The vegetarian curry recipe:
Heat the canola oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium heat. Add the onion, apple and ginger, and cook until they are tender, 7 to 8 minutes.
Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in the curry paste and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Transfer the onion mixture to a slow cooker.
Add the sweet potato, cauliflower, chickpeas, diced tomatoes and vegetable broth to the slow cooker.
Cook on HIGH for 6 hours, or until the vegetables are tender.
Stir in the coconut milk and spinach, and heat. Serve.
If you’re looking for other healthy slow cooker recipes, this Crock Pot Low Carb Un-Stuffed Cabbage Roll Soup looks fantastic! Or you could opt for Crockpot Black Bean Chili with Lime & Cilantro, Crock Pot Italian Turkey Meatballs or Slow Cooker Smoked Sausage Chicken Cassoulet. Yes to all!
Slow Cooker Vegetable Curry Recipe with Sweet Potato & Chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 1 Gala apple diced
- 2 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup mild curry paste such as Patak's
- 1 sweet potato peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups small cauliflower florets
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chickpeas
- 1 14 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 14 ounce can low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup lite coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups lightly packed spinach leaves, chopped
- Heat the canola oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium heat. Add the onion, apple and ginger, and cook until they are tender, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in the curry paste and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Transfer the onion mixture to a slow cooker.
- Add the sweet potato, cauliflower, chickpeas, diced tomatoes and vegetable broth to the slow cooker.
- Cook on HIGH for 6 hours, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the coconut milk and spinach, and heat. Serve.
Disclosure: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.