The flavors in this teriyaki shrimp taco recipe are beyond amazing! The chile lime yogurt and fresh jicama cucumber slaw bring in spice and freshness. Thank you to Stonyfield for helping me share this recipe with you.
When people think of healthy eating, they tend to jump straight to “low fat”. Understandably so. After all, everything we’ve been told by the medical community points towards meals low in saturated in fat and a focus on “healthy fats”. For me, this has meant less bacon and butter, and more avocados, olive oil, low fat dairy and salmon.
In the November 2015 issue, Cooking Light magazine dedicated a section to working fats into our diets, mentioning that foods higher in fat often leave you feeling fuller for a longer period of time. This got me thinking.
Perhaps there is something to the positive claims about whole milk dairy that I’ve read lately. Is there something to this? The jury is still out, but I will definitely be keeping my eye on the latest research so that I can make the best decision for my family and me.
That being said, I know that meals that incorporate some full fat foods are satisfying and tend to curb my mindless snacking one or two hours after the meal. Everything in moderation, I say. And that leads me to the Healthy New Year Week 6 Challenge (are we really near the end of the challenge already?)
To recap, in Week 1 Liz and I focused on Boosting Protein at Breakfast to Fuel Your Day, in Week 2 we added in the challenge of Go Ethnic at Dinner, in Week 3 we challenged you to Try a New Lean Protein, Week 4 was all about reducing sodium with citrus and in Week 5 we covered Healthy Snacking.
THIS WEEK’S GOAL IS…INCORPORATING FULL FAT FOODS INTO A HEALTHY DIET
When I learned that Stonyfield‘s new Whole Milk Greek Yogurt had hit the stores, I knew that I wanted to try it in a savory sauce. My boys gobbled up the containers blueberry, cherry and strawberry whole milk Greek yogurt, while I snagged the plain-flavored containers for my recipe.
I don’t think that words can do justice to these tacos, and I’m going to go as far as saying that this is in the top 5 of my favorite recipe on Cookin’ Canuck. The tender, juicy shrimp tossed in a homemade teriyaki sauce, nestled into soft corn tortillas with a healthy helping of my Asian Cucumber & Jicama Slaw and topped with a creamy, zesty chili lime yogurt sauce. Magical.
For another fantastic recipe using Stonyfield’s Whole Milk Greek Yogurt, be sure to check out Liz’s Chocolate Banana Greek Yogurt Pancakes.
Liz and I are so excited about all of the great ideas being shared in the challenge Facebook group. Come over and join us! Also, we’d love to see your #HealthyNewYear posts on Twitter and Instagram. Be sure to tag Liz (@thelemonbowl) and me (@cookincanuck) on Instagram when you post a #HealthyNewYear photo, and feel free to share your photos, ideas and questions in the Facebook group. It’s not too late to join!
Teriyaki Shrimp Tacos with Chili Lime Yogurt
The Teriyaki Sauce:
The Yogurt Sauce:
The Teriyaki Sauce:
- Combine all of the ingredients in a medium saucepan set over medium heat. Whisk until smooth.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer, whisking frequently, until thickened, about 3 minutes.
The Yogurt Sauce:
- In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt, chili garlic sauce, lime juice, lime zest and salt until combined.
- In a medium bowl, toss the shrimp with the olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the shrimp and cook until just barely cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Toss the shrimp with the teriyaki sauce.
- Wrap the corn tortillas in a paper towel and microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds to soften the tortillas.
- Using 2 tortillas per taco, stuff each with ⅓ cup of the slaw, about 5 shrimp, and 1 tablespoon of the yogurt sauce. Drizzle the extra teriyaki sauce on top.
- Garnish with cilantro, if desired. Serve.
Disclosure: This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!