These dairy free and Vegan Mashed Potatoes and Cauliflower are studded with savory roasted peppers and caramelized onions. Perfect for holidays and special occasions! 112 calories and 3 Weight Watchers SP
Whether you follow a vegan or dairy free diet or you have a vegan friend or relative at your holiday table this year, these mashed potatoes and cauliflower are a fantastic healthy holiday side dish option. Making sure everyone you love is taken care of (at least feast-wise) is all part of spreading the holiday cheer!
Considering that mashed potatoes are typically laden with milk or cream, and plenty of butter, coming up with a lighter, vegan version requires some tinkering. But have no fear, I have tinkered and tasted on your behalf. The result is a recipe that will impress all of your guests, not just those looking for a dairy free alternative.
So, what’s the trick? This recipe uses a mixture of potatoes and cauliflower florets, mashed to a smooth texture, and spiked with sweet caramelized onions and smoky roasted red peppers. The cauliflower provides a lighter texture overall…not a typical dense mashed potato texture.
How do you make vegan mashed potatoes?
The trick to the creaminess (without the cream) is twofold. Instead of milk, I subbed in almond milk. Then I added a good dollop of a vegan cream cheese alternative. There is no cholesterol in the cream cheese and the saturated fats are plant-based.
If you’re not sure which vegan cream cheese you should use, I suggest asking the dairy manager at a healthy food store, such as Whole Foods. Alternatively, ask your guest which vegan cream cheese alternative is his or her favorite. Chances are, they’ve tried a few and know which ones do the trick.
Boil the cubed potatoes and cauliflower florets until tender, just like you would with regular mashed potatoes.
The trick to avoiding a liquidy mixture? Drain the vegetables well, then return them to saucepan and set over medium heat, stirring the potatoes and cauliflower until dry, 1 to 2 minutes.
Using a food mill, potato ricer, hand mixer or potato masher, mash the potatoes with the almond milk to remove the large lumps. Once the vegan cream is added, continue to mash until the mixture is smooth.
Do I have to add in the onions and peppers?
Nope! If you want a smoother texture, leave out the caramelized onions and peppers. I suggest adding in some minced fresh herbs or roasted garlic for another layer of flavor. See How to Roast Garlic for my tips and tricks (it’s easy, I promise!)
And be sure to season properly! Taste the mixture, and add salt and pepper until it tastes just right.
Other vegan side dishes:
Vegan Mashed Potatoes & Cauliflower Recipe with Roasted Peppers & Caramelized Onions
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions chopped
- 2 1/2 pound russet potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 1/4 pound cauliflower cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt divided
- 4 ounces vegan cream cheese
- 2/3 cup almond milk
- 1 roasted red pepper chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the olive in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden brown.
- Place cubed potatoes and cauliflower in a large saucepan and cover the vegetables with cold water.
- Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes and cauliflower are tender when pierced with a fork, about 15 minutes.
- Drain the vegetables, return to saucepan and set over medium heat, stirring the potatoes and cauliflower until dry, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm over low heat.
- Using a food mill, potato ricer, hand mixer or potato masher, mash the potatoes with the almond milk to remove the large lumps.
- Add the cream cheese to the potatoes and continue to mash until the potatoes are smooth and the cream cheese is incorporated.
- Stir the caramelized onions and roasted peppers into the mashed potatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.
This post was first published on November 13, 2013 and updated on November 25, 2019.
Disclosure: All opinion are my own. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.