Soft and gooey chocolate chip cookies are made a little healthier with whole wheat flour. Your family will never know! Thanks to Mom It Forward and McCormick for sponsoring this post and helping me share this recipe with you.
(Congratulations to the winning team in the McCormick’s Virtual Bake Sale! They are Amy from Amy’s Finer Things, Emily from Is This Really My Life, Holly from PheMOMenon, Jennifer from Double Duty Mommy, Kristyn from Lilluna and Lindsey from Cafe Johnsonia.)
I can count on one hand the number of times that I have actually made anything for a bake sale. But buying…I’m really good at that part. So, I’m hardly one to impart words of wisdom on bake sale tactics. Except for this…the pretty packaging always wins out. Cellophane wrapping, pretty tag, curling ribbon – they get me every time, and I’ll buy a whole table of goodies that are dressed to the nines. I’m shallow like that.
When McCormick suggested a virtual bake sale, I was excited. First of all, “virtual” means that my family and I actually get to eat all of the cookies (lunchbox treats for a week…yes!)…score. Second, I don’t actually have to package up these babies…score two. As much as I admire other people’s packaging prowess, I don’t have a single Martha-esque gene in my body.
And, of course, it’s McCormick’s, maker of the plethora of spices and extracts in my pantry…score three. I owed them after years of my sweet and savory dishes benefiting from their products.
I was inspired by the Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Bake Sale Cookies recipe. And yes, I decided to “healthy” these up by using whole wheat pastry flour. Guess what? Your family will never know the difference. These are richly flavored, chocolate and completely addictive.
The competitive juices are flowing, so please re-pin!
And, oh yeah, scroll down to enter the giveaway. There’s a basket of McCormick goodies at stake!
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, mix together the coconut oil, brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla and egg until combined and almost smooth.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the whole wheat pastry flour, cocoa powder, McCormick’s ground cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
Add the flour mixture to the coconut oil mixture and stir until just combined.
Stir in the chocolate chips.
Using a rounded 1 tablespoon of dough for each cookie, drop half of the cookies onto one of the prepared baking sheets. Refrigerate the dough for 15 minutes.
Bake until the edges are set and the middle of the cookies are still soft, about 10 minutes. While the first batch is baking, scoop and refrigerate the second batch, then bake.
Transfer the cookies to a wire rack. Cool. Serve or store in an air-tight container.
The Bake Sale Giveaway
If you help “buy” via a re-pin from my or my team’s virtual bake sale table, you’ll be entered to win a McCormick prize pack . Here’s how you enter:
- Please visit the McCormick Bake Sale Contest Pinterest board and pick your favorite bake sale treat (hopefully it’s mine!) and repin it to one of your boards, using the hashtag #McCormickBakeSale. Maybe mine?
- Please record the steps you’ve taken in the Rafflecopter widget below.
We’ll find out which team gets the most repins and wins in early October, and which one of you wins the prize pack.
Be sure to visit my team members’ bake sale posts:
Confessions of a Cookbook Queen’s Raspberry Cheesecake Brownies
Dinners, Dishes & Desserts’ Fudgy Mint Chocolate Chip Brownies
Honey Bear Lane’s Cinnamon Chocolate Reese’s Brownies
MomFoodie’s Mandarin-White Chocolate Blondies
A Pumpkin & A Princess’ Reese’s Chocolate Chunk Mocha Cookies
This giveaway is open to residents of the United States, aged 18 years or older. The winner will be chosen via a random number generator.
Whole Wheat Double Chocolate Chip Cinnamon Cookie Recipe
|Serving Size||1 cookie|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 147kcal Calories from fat 80|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 9g||14%|
|Saturated Fat 7g||35%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
From the kitchen of Cookin Canuck. www.cookincanuck.com
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (in solid form)
- 1/4 cup (packed) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 tsp McCormick's ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the coconut oil, brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla and egg until combined and almost smooth.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the whole wheat pastry flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the coconut oil mixture and stir until just combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Using a rounded 1 tablespoon of dough for each cookie, drop half of the cookies onto one of the prepared baking sheets. Refrigerate the dough for 15 minutes.
- Bake until the edges are set and the middle of the cookies are still soft, about 10 minutes. While the first batch is baking, scoop and refrigerate the second batch, then bake.
- Transfer the cookies to a wire rack. Cool. Serve or store in an air-tight container.