Dec 20
2010

Smoked Salmon Egg Casserole with Potatoes & Dill Recipe

SmokedSalmonEggCasseroleFinal

It is safe to say we are traditionalists – in the extreme. Each year, Christmas morning proceeds in the same manner, without a single deviation to the routine. We start with breakfast, which often includes cinnamon rolls or croissants or an easy, make-ahead dish such as baked French toast or this egg casserole (the smoked salmon and dill make this worthy of a special occasion). We then move onto stockings, presents, and one very unusual family tradition, which I will tell you about a little later.

My husband and I are lucky to have families that actually like each other. Every since we married, 11 years ago, we have spent Christmas altogether. That’s right – my family, his family, altogether. Since we all live in different cities (or countries, for that matter), we rotate between three cities – Salt Lake City, Los Angeles, and Victoria, Canada. It is fun, it is joyful, and it teaches our two boys to really appreciate the best part of Christmas – family and friends. We realize how lucky we are and we treasure each year that we are able to continue the tradition.

During the second Christmas that we spent together, the two grandmothers (my mum and my husband’s mum) disappeared into the guest room for about 15 minutes. There was plenty of giggling from behind the closed door and we were instructed to have our cameras at the ready. Finally, the door opened to the sound of jingle bells ringing and out came the two cutest reindeer you ever will see, shaking their little red tails at us. Dressed in matching white fleece jumpsuits, antlers, and red noses, the grandmothers were the spitting images of that famous red-nosed reindeer. The performance was such a hit that it was declared an instant tradition. Now the kids are in on the act and, occasionally, an unsuspecting dog or two.

Kelloggs12-1

Since that first reindeer Christmas, the reindeer costume has gone through several changes. One year, we were surprised with cheerleading reindeer, another year the theme was “Christmas hits Hawaii” and included bikini tops (over the fleece jumpsuits), leis, and a rousing rendition of the hula. We always look forward to the next incarnation of Rudolph-in-drag.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 13- by 9-inch glass baking dish.

SmokedSalmonEggCasserole1

Heat olive oil in a large skillet set over medium-low to medium heat. Add diced potatoes and stir until the potatoes are coated with the oil. Spread out so potatoes are in a single layer. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Cover and cook until the potatoes are just tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Uncover, increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender and turning brown, 7 to 8 minutes. Add shallots and cook until shallots are tender, about 2 minutes.

Smoked Salmon Casserole Collage 1

Pour the potatoes into a large bowl and stir in chopped smoked salmon and fresh dill. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and spread out evenly. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Take out of the refrigerator 30 minutes before adding the egg mixture and baking.)

SmokedSalmonEggCasserole4

SmokedSalmonEggCasserole5

Smoked Salmon Egg Casserole with Potatoes & Dill Recipe

Other baked egg dishes:

Cookin’ Canuck’s Savory Bread Pudding with Sausage, Spinach & Three Cheeses
Cookin’ Canuck’s Potato-Crusted Quiche with Pancetta, Sun-Dried Tomatoes & Spinach
Kalyn’s Kitchen’s Southwestern Egg Casserole
Simply Recipes’ Zucchini Breakfast Casserole
How To: Simplify’s Bacon & Egg Cups
Herbivoracious’ Baked Eggs with Chanterelles & Chard

Smoked Salmon Egg Casserole with Potatoes and Dill

2 tsp olive oil
1 1/2 lb. russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup minced shallots
8 oz. smoked salmon, roughly chopped
2 tbsp chopped fresh dill, divided

12 large eggs
1 cup plus 2 tbsp 2% milk
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 13- by 9-inch glass baking dish.

Pour the potatoes into a large bowl and stir in chopped smoked salmon and 1 tablespoon fresh dill. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and spread out evenly. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Take out of the refrigerator 30 minutes before adding the egg mixture and baking.)

In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and salt. Pour the egg mixture over the salmon and potatoes. Sprinkle remaining dill over top. Bake until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Let casserole stand for 5 minutes before serving.

Serves 8.

1 Heather (Heather's Dish) December 20, 2010 at 3:16 pm

this sounds like heaven in a casserole…and i love the hearty addition of potatoes! especially when they're browned like that…oh baby :)

2 Sarah @ Mum In Bloom December 20, 2010 at 3:19 pm

What a wonderful tradition! Love the photo. Isn't it great that the families get along so well! Mine & my husband's families still haven't met.. I can't believe it myself :(

Your recipe looks divine and the pictures are gorgeous. I will certainly have to make this special dish :)

3 Maria December 20, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Perfect breakfast for Christmas morning!

4 Jenny December 20, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Such fun! Love the Christmas photo of you guys!! This dish looks to die for by the way :)

5 Lauren December 20, 2010 at 3:56 pm

I feel like I should know you! I am from Victoria, and I have family in LA, and my husband's family is in that area too. We have also spent many holidays in SLC! Crazy. I am really enjoying the recipies you post – I have tried several, and they have all been great – Thanks!

6 Chef E December 20, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Now I could be down for a plate for this! What a great recipe and photos are wonderful!

7 Viviane Bauquet Farre / Food and Style December 20, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Simple and delicious as always! Beautiful post and photos… Happy holidays to you and yours my dear.

8 Amy December 20, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Wow, that looks delicious! What I'm even more impressed by than the yummy breakfast though is the wonderful relationship that you and Steve's family have. I think that is wonderful (and rare!).

9 Amy December 20, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Oh, and by the way, when are you going to write a book? I'd love it if you published a book with all these yummy recipes in it!

10 ravienomnoms December 20, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Looks so delicious!

11 Island Vittles December 20, 2010 at 5:32 pm

The perfect dish for Christmas brunch! Your photos make it look to die for…Merry Christmas! Theresa

12 Tracy December 20, 2010 at 7:14 pm

Goodness does this look amazing. Perfect for Christmas morning!!

13 Chef Fresco December 21, 2010 at 1:11 am

How fun you guys all spend Christmas together – so rare that actually gets to work out. Looks like so much fun! And this recipe looks like the perfect Christmas morning dish!

14 penny aka jeroxie December 21, 2010 at 1:42 am

Love this baked dish! yum yum

15 Nancy December 21, 2010 at 1:58 am

I love the reindeers – how fun is that? Lucky you to have two families to celebrate with!!
Our Christmas morning is much like yours and I generally make some sort of a breakfast casserole as well.
Haven't done one with smoked salmon though.. will definitely give this one a try!!

16 LimeCake December 21, 2010 at 3:36 am

That looks excellent! Perfect Christmas morning grub!

17 Chefs Resources December 21, 2010 at 4:32 am

Love anything with salmon in it! Your recipe with just the potatoes and smoked salmon looks like a great additional recipe for an excellent smoked salmon hash. I bet the casserole is awesome. Great pics of the preparation.

18 Cookin' Canuck December 21, 2010 at 5:35 am

Thanks so much for everyone's wonderful comments about the recipe, the photos & our adorable family reindeer. It's traditions like these that make the holidays so memorable.

19 Pegasuslegend December 21, 2010 at 7:00 am

what an awesome tradition, delightful brunch perfect for Christmas morning! Merry Christmas to you and your beautiful family! I wished my two boys were little again, enjoy the fun years of their youth it goes by so fast! Merry Christmas~

20 Tes December 21, 2010 at 10:57 am

Wow what a perfect recipe for the holiday breakfast. You had such a beautiful family :)

21 alison @ Ingredients, Inc. December 21, 2010 at 2:10 pm

This love fantastic with all of my favorite ingredients! Hope you have a fantastic holiday!

22 Judy December 21, 2010 at 3:05 pm

What a superb looking recipe – can't wait to try it. Thanks, Dara. Happy Christmas to you all.

23 Lick My Spoon December 21, 2010 at 4:04 pm

It is so great that both your families get along…..it's the children that benefit the most.

I also wanted to say thank you for your offer to see what was going wrong with my pictures via twitter. I didn't email you back because I figured what I was doing wrong. I actually had the camera set on the lowest aperture setting and believe it or not, but didn't realise you could change the aperture value with a 1.4 lens. Silly me!!!

Merry Christmas!

24 Sprinkles of Parsley December 21, 2010 at 7:21 pm

I absolutely love good breakfast recipes… this one look perfect for a brunch! I'll definitely have to try it sometime soon.

25 dario @ foodpixels December 21, 2010 at 8:57 pm

what a great idea, this must be soooo good; it kinda reminds me of a spanish tortilla, but with smoked salmon. Maybe it 'd be nice to serve it with a slice of toasted brown bread and some creme fraiche?
Love the photos!
Dario

26 Petra (Zoom Yummy) December 22, 2010 at 9:59 am

What a gorgeous idea. I love this recipe! Merry Christmas! :) Petra

27 marla December 22, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Love your themed Christmas celebrations. Adorable pic of your kids and the grandmas. This egg dish would balance out those sweets very nicely :) xo

28 A Canadian Foodie December 22, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Dara!
I love the costume tradition! I can't wait for you to post the costumes in drag, either!!!
My dad would love this recipe. I am a fan of smoked salmon. I adore it – but only plain with capers and onions. For some reason, I find it far too overpowering in other dishes. Odd, I know. I love it only plain. But, I am definitely passing this recipe on to my mom. I am certain it will be loved there.
Valerie

29 Trix December 22, 2010 at 6:45 pm

It's almost more of a crustless quiche than a casserole I think. And I LOVE this sort of thing, esp at this time of year when I need to cut out any extra carbs!!

30 Linda Wright December 27, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Just reposting my review from Facebook…This was really yummy. I would definitely make it again- perfect for brunch. Looking forward to making more of your recipes in 2011. Keep 'em coming!

31 reluctantwwfoodie January 1, 2011 at 9:18 pm

My dad smokes salmon every year around christmas and we found your recipe to try with the leftovers! It was good, so I posted a blog about it and gave you the credit. Here's the link along with pics of our dish! – http://reluctantwwfoodie.wordpress.com/2010/12/29/smoked-salmon-breakfast-casserole/