These healthy make-ahead baked eggs are fantastic for an easy breakfast or dinner. The caprese flavors make them irresistibly good! 184 calories and 2 Weight Watchers Freestyle SP
Clearly I have “caprese” on the mind. It was just over a week ago that I posted a Caprese Spaghetti Squash Recipe with Roasted Tomatoes and now I’m at it again with this easy baked egg recipe.
While eggs may make you think of breakfast, baked eggs are something I regularly turn to for quick dinners, too. And the beauty of them? Most of the work can be done ahead of time. Just quickly assemble it all, which just requires throwing all of the ingredients into ramekins, and bake for about 20 minutes.
Done like dinner!
Ramekins are great for so many dishes or prep uses. If you don’t have a set, you can find them for cheap in many cooking stores and online.
This isn’t the first time I’ve posted make-ahead baked eggs. In fact, I’m realizing that I might be slightly obsessed with the concept. I blame it on the need to have quick or make-ahead, but healthy, recipes for those nights when we’re running in 20 directions.
It all started with a bacon, mushroom and sage version. That was such a hit that I moved on to a turkey sausage, mushroom and tomato baked egg recipe.
And then I went to the family-style size for Christmas morning and added a potato crust, which resulted in the Skinny Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole.
These caprese-inspired eggs have all of the requisite ingredients, which include tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and basil. I used a combination of whole eggs and egg whites, which provides a good dose of protein per serving while cutting back on the calories.
The recipe is vegetarian and gluten-free, so add it to your list of “must make” recipes if you, your family members or friends follow either of these diets.
Other easy, healthy breakfast recipes:
Make-Ahead Caprese Baked Eggs Recipe
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Coat four 6-ounce ramekins with nonstick cooking spray. Divide the tomatoes, mozzarella and basil between the ramekins.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites and water. Divide the mixture between the ramekins, pouring over the tomato mixture. Divide the salt and pepper between the 4 ramekins.
- Place the ramekins on a baking sheet and place in the oven. Cook until the eggs are set, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, transfer the ramekins to plates and serve immediately.
- The night before, place the tomatoes and cheese in the ramekins, and prepare the egg mixture. Cover and chill the ramekins and the egg mixture. In the morning, add the basil to the tomato mixture and pour the egg mixture over top. Add the salt and pepper. Bake as directed.
Disclosure: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.